TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

More terrible news re: TT transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-1999, 07:00 PM
Brad Willis

Default More terrible news re: TT transmission...

As most of you know, my TT's2nd gear recently failed, and my transmission was replaced about 2 weeks ago. The problem started with an infrequent grinding when I shifted from 1st to 2nd or from 3rd to 2nd. The problem worsened to where eventually the grinding occurred on every shift.<p>Today, I went on a nice long drive (and bought the most wonderful shiatsu massage recliner, but that's another story). I usually listen to the stereo pretty loud, but I thought that I felt a grinding when I shifted into 2nd gear. I turned down the stereo to listen, and you guessed it, I've got another 2nd gear syncro problem.<p>Right now, the grinding is only happening on 10%-15% of the shifts, and so far only when I shift from 1st to 2nd. Please don't insult the collective intelligence of this forum by suggesting that I don't know how to drive a stick shift, or suggesting that I am beating up the TT, because neither of those things are true. The unfortunate reality is that there appears to be a fairly widespread problem with the 180 FWD transmissions.<p>The general thinking seemed to be that the problem was on the earlier production U.S. TTs with the lower VINs, although just today or yesterday someone posted that they had a higher VIN with the same transmission problem. Again this was a new transmission, but who knows when it was manufacturered. Unfortunately, it looks like I will be getting my 3rd transmission within a span of 6000 miles. I will probrably write a formal letter to Audi regarding this problem.
Old 08-07-1999, 07:41 PM
Denny

Default I'm so sorry

There, but for the grace of all of our individual higher powers, go the rest of us. Good luck, I know it's only a car, but this stinks: and I thing a letter to Audi is well placed and timely. Good luck. Den
Old 08-07-1999, 07:45 PM
Nick

Default I see a recall coming (47 words)

Sorry to hear the news, Brad. As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, this no longer looks like a few isolated cases, it looks like Audi has a real problem<p>I see a recall on the horizon.<p>By the way have there been any problems with the 225q 6-speeds reported?
Old 08-07-1999, 07:50 PM
Denny

Default Tend to agree

Every time I drive my baby now, I look for signs. None so far, but I'm worried. I'm 2637, and still think we may be on to something with the VIN numbers. But, with Brad getting a new tranny and still thinking problems are on the horizon...well, that could be problematic. den
Old 08-07-1999, 08:04 PM
Ari Jay Comet

Default Tranny Failing.. ME TOO!

Since my TT is my second car, it is only driven evenings and weekends. Well, tonight I was out in it.<p>A few times (at least 3-5) it had a grind going into 2nd gear from first. This 1-2 upshift grind was with the clutch fully depressed, with a moderate speed/acceleration.<p>I know it is the tranny (I've driven manual long enough to know driver versus car error) and this concerns me.<p>Brad, it sounds like I too may have your tranny problem. I'll wait until it becomes more frequent - so that the dealer will warranty it. Right now it isn't often enough to recreate for their needs.<p>As a side note: VIN # ...000438 - an early car!<p>Later,<br>Ari
Old 08-07-1999, 08:57 PM
Ken Broadbent

Default Re: More terrible news re: TT transmission...

I am very sorry to hear this sad and somewhat disheartening news. Posts by Jason Dale a while back have given me the impression that the 180Q transmission differs from that of the 180FWD, and is in some ways more similar to that of the 225. Does anyone know whether the recurrent 180FWD transmission problem is due to a component that is unique to the 180FWD, versus shared with the 180Q and/or 225 transmissions?
Old 08-08-1999, 12:27 AM
Paul Fletcher

Default Transmission differences

Just for info, there are two basic types of trans as you indicated. Both Quattro's share much of the same components in their transmissions but the 180 has different ratios and a gear literally missing. The casing is common, probably because of the four wheel drive system. Perhaps someone with a good knowledge of German could get in touch with the German forum and see what is happening over there? (www.tt-owners-club.de)<p>Paul.
Old 08-08-1999, 08:02 AM
John S

Default Brad - RPM drop

How much of an RPM drop do you get after lifting of the gas pedal when shifting from 1'st to 2'nd? I am wondering if the electronic trottle control settings have been altered for U.S. emissions and that is the reason why U.S. and not european syncros are going bad.
Old 08-08-1999, 08:05 AM
John S

Default Make that throttle

<br>
Old 08-08-1999, 11:41 AM
ChuckH

Default I wonder if different gear oil would help the TT transmission? (more)

My '89, 90Q has always had a sticky and grinding transmission (now at 107K miles), especially when cold. I really have to ease it into gear when cold. Different brands and types of gear oil have a huge impact on the way it shifts though. Redline MT-90 was the stickiest when cold, Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90 (I believe?) was average, and Redline MTL is the best, and in there now. I have very easy shifts now when cold, although I still can't rush it all the time. Audi's and VW's are known for somewhat sticky transmissions, but an obvious syncro problem is not normal. Perhaps Audi has actually chosen a gear oil that is not protecting the transmission effectively, and that has something to do with the early failures. I hope the 6 speed does not exhibit such frequent failures, as that is what my Roadster will have. It's too bad, because the TT seems to be such a solid and well engineered car otherwise. Good luck! :-)<p>Charles<br>