TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My home brew...a TT's new friend....toluene and xylene

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My home brew...a TT's new friend....toluene and xylene

I've been experimenting with boosting the octane level of WA's 92 gas. After reading <a href="http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octaneexplained.html"> Rocket Fuel </a> (posted numerous time through AW and the Web), I decided to give it a shot.

I have been adding 1 to 2 gal of Toluene (AKI 114, but have read to be a high as 118), to each tank ~ increase to 93.4 - 94.5 (aki 114) / 93.6 - 95.3 (aki 118), up from 92. My car can now acutally utilize more of it performance! Given that I dynoed at 245 whp and 265 wtq on just ****ty 91 CA gas, and was still spinning my tires on the rollers.

However, what the article doesn't mention is that you should be careful in the amount of "aromatic" additives you add, as they will negatively affect performance as the result of combustion issues.

Another issue not mentioned in this article is the long term effects. These chemical can weaken the rubber lines and fuel filter due to their corrosivity and "dry" characteristics. To "lube" the lines, you will need additional additives to each tank: 4-8 oz of an ATF - I'm using Dextron-III (aki 98.5), and 1 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil (cleaning agent). I premix the toluene, atf and mmo in a gas container, then add to my tank.

I will be switching to Xylene this summer, which has a higher aki of 118. Xylene requires higher combustion temps and may cause cold start problems. You want temps to be &gt;70 degrees. The other ingredients remain the same.

For those who my be wary about trying this, <a href="http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuelnews/faq.asp#2"> BP Fuels </a> recommend using toluene as an octane booster (but not on the US site):

"The octane of a fuel can be boosted by adding proportions of a higher octane fuel. Also available is toluene, which can be used as an octane booster in both unleaded and leaded fuels. Generally each 5% addition of toluene will increase the fuel's octane rating by one number. It is not recommended to add more than 30% of toluene to the fuel. Because of the dangers with incorrect mixing, individual motorist are advised against mixing additives with fuels without first consulting their car engine manual or their fuel supplier."

FYI, toluene and xylene are already components of US gas.

Enjoy!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Where do you liove in WA? Auburn area has two diff stations with 100 octane

pretty damn proud of the stuff at 5.50 a gal
Old 04-01-2004, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully you are not a smoker. ;-)
Old 04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've tried toluene in my car for a couple months now with positive results!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm on the east side...the only place that sold 100 from the pump had bad gas...

I pumped a full tank into my car and had to have my entire system flushed! The other place only sells leaded race fuel, but there is always the race way in Spokane.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:07 AM

there is trick racing fuel in auburn 100 and 110 unleaded
Old 04-01-2004, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Careful.....toxic stuff! carcinogens, neurotoxins, respiratory irritants, etc...

Those few extra horsepower don't sound so good once you consider the health and environmental effects of these things. I know that they're in gasoline already, but that doesn't make them healthy for you. In fact, that's one of the reasons that you shouldn't breathe in those vapors at the gas station.

Check out the report from the link below as a start. I get concerned when the first sentence in the government's report goes....

"Benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylenes frequently occur together at hazardous waste sites."

Rich<ul><li><a href="http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/interactionprofiles/%20IP-btex/ip05-c3.pdf">lot of stuff about this on the web..</a></li></ul>
Old 04-01-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Fixed link ... and more (long)

Even though the BTEX components are hazardous, proper personal protection can minimize or elminate the exposure hazard when handling these or other chemicals.

The first thing to think about is skin contact (dermal exposure). Wear gloves ... not gardening gloves or Latex gloves, but nitrile or neoprene. Also consider safety glasses or goggles if you are going to splash the chemicals when pouring. When removing gloves try to keep from getting any of the chemicals on your skin. Take your index finger and thumb and picnh the inner wrist portion of the glove on the opposite hand. Then twist and pull the glove off inside out, keep it in the palm of the dirty gloved hand. Then take your clean hand and slide your index and middle fingers under the inner wrist portion of the glove and pull that glove off inside out. Done. Gloves off and hands are "clean" ... go wash them with soap and water.

Next consider the inhalation risk. Don't pour the chemicals in a small space. Using your shower or bath tub as a "catch basin" for your chemical transfers is probably a bad idea. How about doing this in your backyard or other area where you have good air movement. If you want, you can pick up a respirator at your local hardware store ... make sure to get the type with screw on canisters and not the dust masks. You should also get filter canisters that are specific for "organic vapors". This is the same type you should use when spray painting.

Last is ingestion. After you take off your gloves (read above for how to properly remove gloves), through them away and wash your hands. Don't drink your beer or eat that hamburger while you are mixing the chemicals.

I know this stuff sounds like common sense, but the hazard of these chemicals (and many others we normally use) can be reduced or eliminated if handled properly.

I'll shut up now. Thanks.<ul><li><a href="http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/interactionprofiles/IP-btex/ip05-c3.pdf">http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/interactionprofiles/IP-btex/ip05-c3.pdf</a></li></ul>
Old 04-01-2004, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good points for unsuspecting enthusiasts..these chemicals aren't just innocuous performance boosters

they're chemicals that need to be handled properly to reduce risk to a user. That still doesn't take into account all the effects of a chemical during its life cycle.

Most of us just see "more horsepower!" without considering what happens during production, use, and ultimate elimination or disposal. Pandora's box looks just like any other from the outside....

Rich
Old 04-01-2004, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Appreciate the warnings...I made sure to research as much as I can

before doing any modification, including this. I made sure to wear rubber gloves (yes, it they weren't the gardening or dishwashing type). I did all the mixing outdoors, very well ventilated area. Unfortunately, I did not have a respirator, nor goggles. I think goggles would be more important, gotta get me a set.

Quick Reply: My home brew...a TT's new friend....toluene and xylene