TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My stolen TT has been replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stolen TT has been replaced...

For anyone who didn't read my original post, about two weeks ago my TT was stolen from the parking lot at work. Two days later it was found totally gutted in Newark. That was the bad news. The good news is I already have a new TT. The insurance company paid out more than Audi wanted for the car, so between that and the security deposit, I even had enough to cover the inception fees without any money out of pocket. My new lease is even a bit cheaper than my old one. It seems that they are more willing give discounts now (I paid $37389). The new car is a 225QC Raven / Ebony leather with the premium and audio packages. The only difference between this car and the old one is that the old one had cloth seats, and it didn't have heated seats or ESP (I had one of the early production 225 coupes).

Also, for whoever it was that asked me what I was talking about when I posted that Audi would let me throw a new car on the old lease. There was a reason it sounded too good to be true. The people at Audi Financial that I spoke two didn't explain it right. If my TT were a month old when it was stolen, it might have worked. The value of the old car has to be very close to the value of the new car.

Here are a few observations / questions about the new car:

The tires are Pirelli P6000s. I really hope that they just need to be broken in for a few hundred miles, because right now they are really slick and really noisy (squealing in turns, not road noise) . If anyone else has noticed this, please let me know if it goes away, or else I'm going to order up some new tires.

The temp gauge now actually moves beyond top dead center. In my old car, once the car warmed up, the temp gauge never moved... ever... It only seems to happen when stopped at lights (as I would expect). I assume Audi changed the programming for the fan. Is this normal for newer TTs?

The new rear view mirror is a flaming piece of dung. I cannot pretend to understand why Audi switched out the old square mirror for this itsy-bitsy ugly little mirror.

I can't wait for the coating on the rotors to wear off. It seems like braking won't be up to normal levels for a few hundred more miles.
Old 07-06-2001, 05:23 PM

Default Congrats on the quick replacement! The rearview mirror change was a good thing...

...in my books. That dressing room mirror that they used in the earlier cars left tall drivers with a gaping FORWARD blind spot between 1 and 2 o'clock. Seeing the merging traffic on downhill acceleration ramps is so difficult for me with the old mirror that I actually tried (unsuccessfully) to get written permission from the SCCA to update it with the new style mirror.....
Old 07-06-2001, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I would expect the Blowtenzas to grip better than the P6000s.

Do give the Pirellis time, however. Your performance should increase once you scuff them up a bit.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2001, 05:29 PM

Default I never had a problem with forward blind spots...

I'm 6' tall and I never had a problem with the old mirror. I just know that I feel blind when I look in the rear view mirror now. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Old 07-07-2001, 05:59 AM
Elder Member

Default My P6000's are sticky as h*ll, great grip and not a squeal ever. My favorite corner is a hard...

90+ degree left with a nice pothole obstacle in the inside corner and a row of man-eating bushes lining the outside... Baby is up to 45 mph on this one and seems glued to the pavement every inch. :-)

To coin a phrase, gawd I love mah car!