TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My TT Saga (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-1999, 02:25 PM
BrenTT (had to do the TT thing with my name)

Default My TT Saga (long)

I've been lurking in the shadows on the forum here for a couple of weeks. Finally posting.<p>First noticed the TT in the NM catalog. Was impressed, especially with the price. Did some research then and then forgot about it. Wife and I were thinking of getting new car but not until next year (really like the M3 convt). Saw review of TT in Chicago Tribune June 5. Renewed interest. Found TT.org then. Went to city dealer June 12. Wanted $8,000 over MSRP. Forget it. Found suburban dealer at MSRP. Visited June 14. Had black coming in. Really like silver though (current black Jetta and previous black GTI, time to change). Still hadn't sat in one. Called June 16, truck came in with five, could see all colors and sit in one. Visited again, inquired about black one coming in, already spoken for but silver had become available and two days out of port. Put deposit down. Received call today. Car is in!!!!! Now I will have some real fireworks this fourth.<p>Thanks to all for all of the information that has been posted. It has been very useful, although it mostly made me more and more anxious for my silver/black! <p>And where are all of the Chicago TTs? I have only seen one on the streets so far (black on Ashland near Belmont). Not that I'm complaining! Love the fact of having a unique car (w/o paying normal unique car prices).
Old 06-29-1999, 04:04 PM
Denny

Default Congratulations

Love my little silver baby. Have fun!
Old 06-29-1999, 04:06 PM
Brad Willis

Default Your baby, eh?...

Just don't do any breast feeding until the exhaust cools down! :-0
Old 06-29-1999, 04:11 PM
Denny

Default Totally

Brad, I'm apoplectic over this car. Does the stage where you park two miles away from every other car in the lot pass quickly, or is a permanent affliction? Denny (female Denny)
Old 06-29-1999, 04:30 PM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Totally

No, it shouldn't go away. However, I've parked that way for years. You should have seen the condition of my 9 year old Mercedes that I recently sold, just immaculate. I've never minded a little extra walk because I know that most people are inconsiderate and if you park in tight spaces, then your car WILL get dinged. Especially the TT, which has little to no side protection.<p>Also, I like choosing a big space where there is a median or curb on your right side and a space on your left. I'll then hug the right curb (being careful not to grind my low-profile wheels into the right curb). This way, it is impossible for someone to hit you with a door on the right side, which is where the driver's door would usually be. If a car parks on your left side, it would most likely be only the passenger door which could potentially ding your "baby". Since many cars do not have a passenger, the "odds" favor this manner of parking.
Old 06-29-1999, 04:46 PM
Carl

Default And I thought I was the only **** retentive lot stalker

It's good to hear this talk, I was almost considering therapy for my affliction for scientifically choosing a parking space.<p>My basic rule, especially in winter when parking lots are slick, is to always park to the opposite side of an already-parked car, where the opposite side is defined as the side away from the popular entrance point to the lot. This way, when an idiot overshoots or skids tyring to make the turn into the next spot, he slides AWAY from my car.<p>Which of course doesn't explain the SUV-sized ding in my passenger side of my 90S (soon to be transformed magically into a 180Q/august.<p>BUT --- I expressly do NOT take up two spots like a lot of Corvettes I have seen. It just invites people to run their keys across your body panels.<p>
Old 06-29-1999, 05:11 PM
Denny

Default Re: Totally

Thanks for the parking advice Brad. And, Carl, it's so bad that I'm going to put a pad on something on my driver's side wall of my garage. My last car was a four door so the doors did not swing out as wide. The TT door is longer and I have to be careful not to whack it on the cinderblock wall of the garage. Now, doesn't that make you feel better. I simply have never had so much fun with a car. Took the long way home down the Merritt Turnpike instead of I-95 just to drive tonight. Den
Old 06-29-1999, 06:47 PM
Ken R

Default Welcome to the front lines

Welcome BrenTT- glad you decided to come forward out of the shadows. Enjoy hearing everyones opinions of the car. If you ever make it up to Milwaukee and see a Neiman Marcus TT it will be me. There was talk of starting a Chicago area club- that would be closest for me also. Ken R<br>
Old 06-29-1999, 07:24 PM
Carl

Default Long Doors?

I have the same problem - narrow garage. So I suppose I'll need to get a quote to have the garage wall moved!<p>My wife drives the A6 in the family. But there's no problem telling which garage door is hers - it's the one with the belt-high gouges on both sides of the garage door. I don't even bother repainting anymore. To her, the opening is just a suggestion, like red lights in Italy.<p>By the way - my little brother (Anthony Popolo) works for UST just like you (I saw you give out your work email here one day). I call him the man without a conscience. He doesn't know you (yet), so for now you're safe, but I told him to look you up next time he goes to hq (he's in Nashville, but a Brooklyn NY boy by birth). He is one of the unenlightened who thinks the TT is just a car, so if you ever meet him, give him a ride and make his face hurt from grinning.<p>
Old 06-29-1999, 07:27 PM
Denny

Default Re: Long Doors?

Carl, <p>I can't believe it "just a car." Definitely have him come see me. This boy needs some education. He does have good taste in employment however. Den

Quick Reply: My TT Saga (long)