TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Naked Garage Party involving slave and clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Naked Garage Party involving slave and clutch

So I am going to have a kick-*ss party in my garage... it involves me, a topless Audi TT and a helper.

However, in order to have this party, I NEED instructions on a well done DIY on how to replace my clutch slave. I know this involves removing the tranny (not a stripper named Ed).

Does anyone know where I can find an excellent step by step set of instructions? I expect to buy a Bentley manual for my silver, topless rolling party... but need something with photos (PG rated) on how to 'git er done'.

OR, am i better off pimping this to a professional mechanic and 'dunking dollars'?

Thanks for you help!!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know if there is a write up for this as most people have it done at a shop.
It is a very big project especially when you do not have a lift but it can be done, I have done it in my garage using jackstands.

The Bently is a MUST I would very carefully look over every step of the procedure to make sure that it is something that you are capable of doing in far less than ideal conditions.

A very well stocked tool box, engine support (Harbor freight has cheap ones, I made my own but would of bought one had I know how cheap they were) 4 big heavy duty jack stands that can get the car very high off the ground. Air tools are nice but not necessary.

I do not want to discourage you from doing it yourself but give you the reality of how difficult the job is. How much experience do you have working on cars and the TT in particular.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exhausted myself searching for the step-by-step How-To in removing the tranny. I decided to give in and purchase the Bentley manual. First and foremost, that book has a LOT of information! It is awesome and overwhelming. However, after reading how to do it, I decided to cancel my garage party and have the dealer do it. I have the tools and experience, but I dont have the time. Oh, and I dont have a garage lift which I think is required given the limited working space.

I appreciate your help...

And for the record, the garage is charging me $1500.00 for the labor, new clutch/pressure plate, slave, throw out, etc. That is the best deal i could find. The AUDI dealer wanted $2300! The shop is actually at VW Dealer...

I only worry if I need a new dual mass flywheel. I PRAY i dont! That thing is very expensive.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done without a lift but it really is a nightmare!

With your low miles you might not need a new flywheel but they do start to fail with well under 100k miles. I replaced mine with a steel single mass flywheel so I never have to worry about it again.

and BTW $1,500 is a great price