TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Need help on Web server stuffs - hosting the web site

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on Web server stuffs - hosting the web site

my daughter's web site has been shut down because of copyrighted violations. She's only 13 and a very good web site designer and developer. Now she wants to host her own site but has no ideas how to get it started. Please advise me the hardware and software requirements for this.

- I have static IP address (DSL connection)
- Couple PC's, hubs and switches.

Her web site is a-teensca.com. Now is down and she's very sad and I would like to make her happy again.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:43 AM
Elder Member

Default Go download Apache from apache.org

They have a version for both Windows and Linux. I was running APache on my NT Server until my cable company shut down port 80 on me.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:10 AM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: You'll need to set up a host server..

if you want to use your static IP, first check with your provider to determine bandwidth limitations. If your server exceeds this limit, you will be charged heavily. This may or may not happen depending on how popular your daughter's website is and if she has a lot of large files.

If you want to host then you'll need a server. IMO, the easiest one to set up and maintain is a linux server running apache. Both of which are basically free softwares with no yearly cost and can be made very secure.

I know Redhat's Linux has a server auto set up mode and can configure the system readily for you. But really any linux variant will work. It just comes down to which one provides you with the easiest to learn interface. Personally, I prefer Redhat.

Once you have the server set up and running, contact net solution and have them point the url to your static ip. Good luck.

Tony
Old 01-05-2002, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Much easier to find a new host...

You will need a powerful system (and OS)otherwise, more bandwith than a DSL, especially if you still want to use it for other purposes, and a few other things. One of your biggest problems will likely be the PC and the OS as they are not really made to be a web server. There are however some nice packages available which are all inclusive web server specific systems, but at this cost you might as well use a company. Halfpricehosting is pretty good, I have used them in the past for business sites. Lots of nice features, and inexpensive.