TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Need input comparing TT with a Boxster....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need input comparing TT with a Boxster....

I am the owner of a Porsche Boxster and love pretty much everything about it. I am also in love with the looks of the TT Coupe. (Have never driven one.) I am probably most interested in the Quattro TT with the larger engine but would consider the FWD if it is considered powerful enough by it's owners. I don't have to be sold on the merits of Quattro...I am a long time Audi owner also with an S4 right now.

My question...Have any TT owners experienced the Boxster? If so, I would be most appreciative of any comparisons between the two cars. Should I consider trading the Boxster for a TT?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Brad
Old 02-06-2001, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need input comparing TT with a Boxster....

I test drove a boxster and my TT Coupe the same day at the same dealership and I ended up with a 2001 TTCoupe 180hp FWD model. The TT's handling was far superior to the boxster and the attention to detail on the interior was no comparison. The fact that the TT has a turbo and the boxster doesn't was very noticable. Even though the boxster had slightly more horsepower (I think it was 209 or a little more) it sure didn't feel like it. Add to the fact that the TT was $10G less and it was a no brainer!!
Old 02-06-2001, 02:23 PM

Default Drive a TT then decide for yourself. It depends entirely on what you like and how you drive.

Asking the same question on Boxster forum will probably get the opposite answers from what you might get here.
Old 02-06-2001, 03:19 PM

Default Test Track Experience....

I had a chance to race/drive with a friends new Boxter on a real race track (private test track 1.8miles FIA certified test track). It was a lot of fun but I noticed a lot of under steer from his boxter in the tighter corners. The TT handling was quite balanced. I really liked the way I could really rip out of a corner (ESP off) and not have to worry to much about having the rear end come around on me. I don't want to say to much about the Boxter because I didn't drive it. But it seemed like it handled well except for the under steer. I know it wasn't driver error though. My friend is a very good racer, but if you ask him he will say that HIS boxter will beat anything out on the market (nuts). We both race CVAR (Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing). I hope this helps a little. I can tell you that the TT was a real pleasure to drive at speed and did very well in the corners. Hope you find the car you like.

Love my TT,
Christian P.

P.S. Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive. Enjoy.
Old 02-06-2001, 03:19 PM

Default Since you already have....

the boxster, I'm not sure I'd make the change. I've driven both of the cars and each has different +'s and -'s. Quattro is the big question mark for you - is it handy to have where you live or can you go without?

If you didn't already have the boxster I'd say get the TT because you get a heck of a lot more bang for the buck with the TT, but.......
Old 02-06-2001, 05:21 PM

For what's worth, the Boxter's more cramped. I'm 6'1, 220 lbs and felt uncomfortable in it.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:25 PM

Default I love my TTR225, but...

Every time the British car magazines do a handling/performance camparo, the Boxster walks away with it in this class.

I'm completely happy with my TTR225 (based on looks, quattro, interior quality, as well as performance/handling etc.) and I wouldn't consider trading for a Boxster even if the costs were the same. But if handling is your touchstone I think the Boxster is hard to beat.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:01 PM

Drove them both at the same dealer and liked the handling on the 225 coupe better!!!!!
Old 02-06-2001, 06:29 PM

Default I have both... (long)

Here are my observations. I bought the Boxster S a year ago. I just got the 225QC a month ago. I find that the cars are both fun but very different. The TT replaced a 97 Volvo 850R Wagon with Eibach Springs.

The Boxster is normally aspirated and has much smoother throttle response throughout the entire RPM range. I find that I am shifting at 6,000 RPM for max power in the Boxster where in the TT I am shifting at 5,000-5,500 RPM for max power. Both have a six speed. I tend to stay in the lower gears (1-4) in the Boxster. I notice on the freeway that I need to shift more often with the TT and spend much more time in 5th and 6th. I also like the exhaust note in the TT where the Boxster hardly made any sound. I fixed that by installing the Sport Exhaust.

I installed H&R Springs on the Boxster (I did not have the 030 sport spring option) and find that the handling is perfect for 90% of my canyon driving (I haven't tracked the car yet). The TT feels soft in the back (A little floaty) in hard corners. I am thinking about installing the ABT /sport Suspension Kit from AMS. I think upgrading the shocks will be necessary where the Boxster shocks work fine with the H&R springs.

I drive the TT everyday and I drive the Boxster on the weekends to PCA Club events. I think that the clutch action in the TT is much smoother and lighter than the Boxster. The interior of the TT is better. The seats in both cars adjust the same way for height. IMHO they are both very comfortable. The stereo is better in the TT.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cars or versions. They are all fun to drive. If you are buying the car to race...that's another story!
Old 02-06-2001, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Need input comparing TT with a Boxster....

I'm about to pick up a TT 225 Coupe (silver/black) tomorrow at noon. I also looked at both cars. I didn't want a convertible, since I knew I'd have the top up most of the time. That pretty much ruled out the Porsche. Not that it matters a lot because this is a second car, but I liked the fact that the TT Coupe is a little more practical with the back seat which can be folded down.

The fact is, neither one sucks

Quick Reply: Need input comparing TT with a Boxster....