TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Need repair advice, possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need repair advice, possible purchase

All, I use cadillac forums.com and it seems pretty similar to this site. I am looking at a 2003 TT, and have came across one for a good price ... BUT there are a few problems.. I am new to the audi tt idea so I have no Idea how bad these problems are with the TT.

I would love to get your input on what all this would cost to fix and any other I out you may have.

Here is the verbiage as per the sellers listing

" 2003 Audi TT
1.8 Turbo Automatic Transmission with 74,200 miles on it
Has tiptonic shifting
It is a solid TT - clean inside and out.
It drives very smooth no ticking clicking or weird noises on the engine.
Interior is very clean and very minimal wear on seats.

Overall, the car runs great.

Here's what's been replaced in the last 6 months from a professional shop:

-Spark Plugs
-Coil Pack
-Thermostat
-Water Pump
-Wire Harness
-2 tires & alignment

Here are the "issues" with the car:
Keep in mind, as you look at other Audi TT's, most others all have these exact same problems, but they aren't listed. These have all been like this since I bought it, and it hasn't affected the functionality of the drive a bit.

-Front right speaker is out.
-Key FOB needs reprogrammed to use Unlock, Lock, and Trunk Release
-The display that tells the outdoor temperature and which door is open is slightly pixilated.
-Heater doesn't blow hot.
-One of the temperature ***** is broken off.
-Trunk struts need replaced as it won't stay open unless you hold it.

I've tried to be EXTREMELY honest in listing every little detail so that you know exactly what you're buying. It runs tremendous, but since most people viewing this aren't local and may bid without viewing, I just wanted to make sure there was NOTHING "
Old 01-09-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also this is an automatic transmission. , cost is $7,200 . With 75k miles
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 253 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Pass

Originally Posted by Rodrigofresh
-Front right speaker is out.
-Key FOB needs reprogrammed to use Unlock, Lock, and Trunk Release
-The display that tells the outdoor temperature and which door is open is slightly pixilated.
-Heater doesn't blow hot.
-One of the temperature ***** is broken off.
-Trunk struts need replaced as it won't stay open unless you hold it.

"
Key fob is a DIY unless the key has been replaced in which case the dealer will charge about $75.
Pixilated display is common and not an issue unless other dash instruments are not reading correctly (it is all one integrated unit).
None of the others are common.
Sounds like he has an engine temp problem that he has yet to solve.

I'd pass. If you are patient and search nationally, there are comporable or lower mileage TTs being ofered on Cars.com and Autotrader for $10K and they will take less. The reduced price of a national search may be worth the plane ticket and ride home.

Look at the FAQs on the Mk 1 Fortitude forum for background on the Mk 1 (1999-2006). A key item is that the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner must be replaced every 5 years or 60K miles. Check with an indy shop on what this will cost in your area if you buy a TT that has not had this service within that interval. The best kit for this is sold by DieselGeek and the repair should cost about $750.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Key fob is a DIY unless the key has been replaced in which case the dealer will charge about $75.
Pixilated display is common and not an issue unless other dash instruments are not reading correctly (it is all one integrated unit).

I'd pass. If you are patient and search nationally, there are comporable or lower mileage TTs being ofered on Cars.com and Autotrader for $10K and they will take less. The reduced price of a national search may be worth the plane ticket and ride home.

Look at the FAQs on the Mk 1 Fortitude forum for background on the Mk 1 (1999-2006). A key item is that the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner must be replaced every 5 years or 60K miles. Check with an indy shop on what this will cost in your area if you buy a TT that has not had this service within that interval. The best kit for this is sold by DieselGeek and the repair should cost about $750.

Thanks for the response. Right now i have $6,500 cash.. And its VERY hard to find an automatic with decent miles... I have been SEARCHING.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the response. Right now i have $6,500 cash.. And its VERY hard to find an automatic with decent miles... I have been SEARCHING.
The FWD auto is probably the least popular TT.

Bad news, not many of them out there, good news re-sale prices should be way low .
Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As far as the heater not working, is a bad engine and or engine problems the culprit for this? It's just the best miles and price I have found.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Out of the 60k maintenance issues you listed, he says all where performed except for the tensioner
Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stupid

Out of the 60k maintenance issues you listed, he says all where performed except for the tensioner
Not replacing the tensioner is like replacing the clutch and not checking the flywheel. It costs the same amount of labor to do the tensioner as it did to replace the TB and water pump. Without replacing the tensioner (which is the most likely item to fail), the car is a $5K+ time bomb that can break down any moment. Unles the TB and water pump were replaxed in the past year, I'd replace them all again because of the labor issue. That leaves your "no heat" problem is now likely from a blocked heater core or a failed valve in the heat/AC system under the dash (both are unusual problems for a car with this mielage). Run away from this one based on this and other issues.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 01-11-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Be patient. This is not the one for you

Sound like you are on a tight budget. Having to replace the wiring harness is very unusual and a possible indiactor of deeper issues. You could live with the key fob, trunk stut, and mising ****.

You are talking about $1K of repairs, minimum, to replace the tensioner and no heat issue (also unusual). And those are the issues you know about now.

I've owned the manual and the automatic and they have pros and cons. The manual is a bullet-proof tranny that many folks have had for 150k+ miles with no issues. It is more fun to drive if you like the thril of this torquey engine pushing you back into the seat during aceleration.

The auto works great and when you run it in the sport mode it has you in the right gear for twisty-turny roads 99% of the time. It is also a more pleasant ride in stop & go trafic. There have been a few reports of premature valve body failure starting around 60K miles which is a $2500 repair.