TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Need your opinions plz on my rich friend's claim that buying fancy cars like the TT is stupid...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinions plz on my rich friend's claim that buying fancy cars like the TT is stupid...

My friend is a self-made millionaire who drives an old model camry but does have an amazing house so I know it's true...

Anyways, he said to me last night after driving in my car and after I explained my mods to him (3K worth) that the secret to success and becoming a millionaire is to avoid reckless expendatures like cars. He said true wealthy people are modest in their car purchases because 1) They do not need to show off and 2) They know that cars are depreciating items that are overall money traps.

I left the conversation feeling dejected and questioning my car expendature. I am no millionaire...are my "reckless " spending habits the reason why? Here in Canada the TT I have goes for $62,000.00 + tax CDN so comparably speaking for my US friends, the TT here is like buying an entry-level porsche in the US.

What are your opinions about car buying and is it something we are folloing ourselves with? Give me some ammunition for when I speak with him next.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One of those myths, reinforced by repetition, and "the millionaire next door."

While, if we are to be self made millionaires, we can't be extragent in all areas of our lives, we can indulge in some. Save where you can, indulge where you must. At least your friend lives in a nice house, maybe that is his extravagence. So many people save all their lives, live cheap, and die wealthy, what's the point. We, well Mrs Rascal, has always indulged my need for speed. Hell when we met I drove a brand new Sunbeam Alpine and was a broke 2nt Lt. in the U.S. Army, she knew what she was getting. We've lived poor and lived well, but I have always managed my special car in the garage. Today, we may well have what your friend has in resources, but I, as opposed to he, have all those memories of all those neat sports cars. Most cars are not investments in fact, but they may well be investments in our good mental health. That said don't let your friend get to you.

Father Rascal
Old 11-03-2001, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a very modest house and a really nice car. Those are my priorities. YMMV.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:16 AM

The fun of owning a TT.....priceless!
Old 11-03-2001, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dick and I live in a parallel universe.....well said!
Old 11-03-2001, 08:17 AM

Default Here's my two cents...

It's about priorities. Ask him why he spent a $500,000 dollars on a house, when he really may only need a $200,000 one. Check out the other things he's purchased, (audio equipment, $2000.00 suits, wines that you don't drink, etc). People spend their money on different things. It's obvious that he is not a "driver". Most people who buy cars like Audi, Porsche, and BMW, do so because we love to drive. If a Camry looked as good and drove as well as the TT, I would've bought it. If he lives very modestly, and just likes to check out zeros in his bank account, more power to him. His kids will have a lot of money to spend on TTs when he's gone.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:18 AM
Elder Member

Default His is just one opinion . . .

There are many wealthy people that live a very own to earth style of life. That is what works for him. It is also NOT the reason he is a millionaire. If his wealth is based on the fact that he keeps all of his money tied up in only things that will appreciate . . . then I feel sorry for him. Not everything in this world is about making money, it is also about having a good time and enjoying the money that you have earned. If he does not know that by now, then I feel sorry for him.

Remember, so long as you are happy tat is all that counts. Are you in the poor house because of the car? Most likley not. Is any car an extravgance? Sure it is, but it also is a necessity for many people.

For someone to do that to you, especially a "friend" is not a true friend. He should enjoy what you bought and keep his big mouth shut.

What you can ask him the next time you see imj is this:

How much money that you have saved over the years from buying less expensive cars and fewer extravagances will he be taking with him to his grave? Remember, "He who dies with the most toys . . . win!" Actually he dies the happiest
Old 11-03-2001, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The sheer pleasure of driving (slight rant)

I wrestled with this question for a while before I purchased my TT. In fact I decided for about two weeks not to do it but then after much deliberation I thought what the hell and went for it.
Now I am wondering why I didn't do it earlier!

I was driving a perfectly fine car, a 1998 Toyota RAV4 that got me from A to B very well. However there was something missing. There was no fun or excitement in driving. I spend about 1-1.5 hours of my day driving back and forth to work so it adds up quickly.
Driving the TT is a completely different experience. The power of the engine, the lovely interior and sheer style of the car have totally changed my outlook on the drive. When I had to deliver a big planter box to a friend near work and was forced to take the RAV4 for the first time in weeks I actually opened the back of my TT to see if it wouldn't fit in there because I didn't want to take the RAV4.
And the couple of times I have taken the TT on some pretty wild mountain roads were some of the most exhilarating driving moments I have had in my life so far.

So tell your weird friend that everybody has their own desires and wants. Sure I could have put the money in the bank and be a conservative consumer and drive my RAV4 until it fell apart (my wife will do that now . But heck I adore my TT and will gladly spend the cash again since nothing beats the fun of driving a car like a TT. If he is happy driving his Camry then so be it but enjoy your TT and don't let some scrooge discourage you!
Old 11-03-2001, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've got a Porsche T shirt that says it all.......>>>

"Life's Too Short to be Driving Chevy's"
Old 11-03-2001, 08:21 AM

Default I second what pops has said....

some people like to save their money, and others spend it on what they value as a neccesity. I work very hard to earn my living, therefore I like to reward myself with objects that I enjoy. Unfortunately, since I'm a "go fast crack addict" I like to spend my money on cars, and I will continue to do so until the day I die. Everyone has their own needs and desires, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep.

If you want to confront your friend on this again, just tell him that "you can sleep in your car, but he can't race his house".

Quick Reply: Need your opinions plz on my rich friend's claim that buying fancy cars like the TT is stupid...