TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Neiman Marcus TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neiman Marcus TT

I have found a 2000 Neiman Marcus Limited Edition TT for sale. This car has only 6,700 miles on it. I can't find a good source on the value of this car. Can anyone help?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Elder Member

$1.23 . . . what is the VIN#? Maybe it is Brad's old NMTT lol
Old 02-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default As Larry mentioned, I had an NM TT...

It was returned to Audi via the CA Lemon Law. The early build TTs, in general, had a lot of bugs. The biggest problem is the front wheel drive transmissions in those cars. There is what I believe to be a defect in that tranny that causes grinding when you shift into second gear.

My personal advice is to avoid the car. I don't think it has much collectable value (I frankly used to believe that it might). The potential headaches that you might (well) experience don't make this purchase worthwhile, in my view.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What #...I have number #25 that I bought almost 2 years ago for (longish)

28.4K. At the time that was lower than the average TT with the same miles, I got a good deal...I looked at two others that I talked down to 31K. I think somewhere less than 24K or whatever the upper end of what a used 2000 180 Coupe is with virtually no mileage, which I have not followed. If it does not have the spoiler on it or the suspension recall replaced, then it is worth that much more in my mind since it is closer to original, hence more collectible in the end. However I am glad mine has it done since I have been at the top end several times and drive on the interstate at 90+. Is it from a dealer? Make sure the car is Audi Assured if it is...you will want some warranty to work out the bugs if there is any. Mine does have the tranny (grind first to second) issues but I live with it (and by replacing the fluid to whatever Porsche's use by the dealer and some adjustments it is much better), otherwise the car has had no (zippo) problems. I was forewarned by Brad and everyone else about the problems (research old posts on the grinding) but I knew what the problems were going into it. I tried to drive the car hard when I test drove it (run close to the redline and instantly drop it into second...do not let revs drop...so in other words it only happens when trying to race someone from a complete stop, not in everyday driving) for the grinding issue but it did not do it then. All TT's are notchy so hard to tell. I like the looks plain and simple, and having a car no one else has (unfortunately for me exept the 4 others I know of in the Chicago area, I had #29 within two blocks of me for a few months). If you like TT's in general and don't need to have that particular rare car go with a 2002 225hp ALMS edition (silver with red interior my favorite). The looks of the NM are unique and I love it everyday I get it in to it, so to me it is worth it. I am an architect so the looks carry a great deal of importance to me. I am not looking to maintain mine as a collector car as I drive it everyday in the warm months and it has had the recall mods, but I will keep it I think forever. If you have more questions email me.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What #...I have number #25 that I bought almost 2 years ago for (longish)

I'm glad you are happy with your NM. I liked the styling a lot. Unfortunately, I could not live with the tranny grinding. Sounds like you can! Enjoy!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks...what this really does is keep me from the temptation to Auto-x and take

it out on the track. That's all I need to have happen around other real drivers as oppossed to whomever in regular traffic. The things the dealer did really helped lessen the problem, they adjusted the shifter and as I said they changed out the fluid. Now every gear feels pretty notchy (fluid seems thinner, slippery) but I have much less grinding...will not know for sure until spring when I can pull it out more often...no winter tires for my Chicago winters. Since I am on record from day one they will have to address the problem at some point and I still have my extended warranty...which is what this person needs badly, so atleast they can put on record a complaint while it is under warranty.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:03 PM

What does a NM look like? How do you spot one?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Open my post...I have a picture...Nimbus Grey outside...

Moccasin red (burnt orange) interior on the steering wheels, seats, shifter, struts on either side of the shifter and on the door inserts. Cars had xenon lights. On the horizontal bar on the glove box it has the Neiman Marcus signature and whatever number of car it is out of 100, in my case 025/100. Wheels are suppossed to be somewhat chrome...original were polished but appearently that didn't hold and most have been re-finished. Mine look too close to normal TT wheels when they were redone by the dealer. Debating on whether to get them chromed better to be closer to original but may be too much.