TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New Car Review: Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Review: Audi TT

Note mention of retractable spoiler and the 350 HP "RS". Yum! And a diesel? Only in Europe for sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<i><b>Audi TT</b>

<b>When can I expect it?:</b> September

<b>How much is it going to cost me?:</b> Around ?25,000

<b>What's being said about it?:</b> When you start off with a revolutionary concept, you are unlikely to recreate the same excitement for it's replacement. The Audi TT is no exception. The second-generation car is expected to be more of an evolution of the current car's looks, more angular at the side, and with Audi's latest vertical grille at the front.

There will be the option to have two or four wheel drive which should help the TT get back some of the ground that it has lost to competitors such as the Nissan 350Z and the Mazda RX-8. The chassis will be a derivative of those used by the Audi A3 and the VW Golf. This will hopefully make certain that the drive of this new Audi is as impressive as the way it looks.

To add to this, the TT engineers have worked to avoid the early TT problem of the car becoming dangerously unstable in high-speed cornering by adding a retractable spoiler just like the ones you might expect to find on a Porsche or Bugatti.

Trying to shake off the tag of 'hairdressers car', there is an expanding range of engines - from a a turbocharged 2.0-litre FSI petrol engine with 150bhp unit through to a potential 350bhp 3.2-litre V6, badged the RS. Buyers will also be given the choice of either a six-speed manual gearbox or Audi's DSG impressive transmission. And that's not all. There have been whisperings about a diesel to join the range later on.

There should be more interior space if the increased dimensions (700 litres of space with the rear seats down) are anything to go by, and Audi will be pushing the boat out even further than the current TT with the classy interior that has become a stylish trademark of the model.

It's expected to hit the UK market at around ?25/26,000. With the competition around, they can't really afford to go much higher, although the 3.2 V6 should retail close to the current car's price of ?28,700.</i><ul><li><a href="http://www.askaprice.com/torque-article.asp?article=New_Car_Review_2006_-_Sports_Cars&amp;item=943">New Car Review</a></li></ul>