TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A new TT? Or something else...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about a neutral opinion?

I pretty much say this to everyone that asks this question simply because I can't give you the best answer.. Only you can provide the best answer to your question.. These are some of the things that ran through my mind when I was about to pick up a car.. Do I need awd (I snowboard.. of course)?? How much cargo room do I need (answer-none)? Ultimately what do I want to do with the car? Since I need awd and didn't want a subby or S4 it was an easy decision.. But when you can get rwd and can handle it (I think im too immature as a drive to jump into a vette everyday) then things become a little more complicated because a lot more cars can be considered.. I say test drive every car you are interested.. Don't go out and just buy a TT because people say so.. test drive the S2000, see how you like it then maybe check out the 350z, or a vette.. If you want more style go try out the M3, also check out the boxster see how they feel.. As for the mods, thats another question you have to ask yourself.. Do you want to deal with warranty issues or modding your car so you can stick with the competition? I mean the S2000 will take a stock 225 pretty easily, but a modded 225 might have a chance.. The TT as a stock car, imo, is lacking.. Its lacking power, its heavy but its got potential (which is another reason I love it).. Oh yeah, I also made some lists of the things I didn't like and liked about the cars I was considering, I also made a list of what I would mods Id get which pretty much made the decision for me
Old 08-05-2002, 09:16 AM
gio

Default You brought up a lot of interesting points...

I live in Boston, so a convertable is not that practical. But I just got a new job where I can take the T to work, so its not a huge issue. I do snowboard and the TT is awesome because I can fit two snowboards in the back. Also, AWD is great and I already have snow tires for the TT.

Actually I would love a M3 convertable but its a little too expensive for me. Same with the boxster. Sure, it starts in the low 40s, but once you add on all the necessary options its well above 50.

A chipped 225 should put my roughing on par with S2000 (I assume). Next will probably be an exhaust mod and then shocks/springs and Stoptech brakes. Then I will look into a turbo upgrade.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:17 AM

Default that's what i did... and i ended up with the tt...

i drove basically everything that i could find that i liked aesthetically and had no top. i drove an m roadster, a m3 convertible, a boxster, a boxster s, a 993 cabriolet, a c5 convertible and an s2000.

the s2000 was almost immediatley booted because i didn't like the idea of driving the car at the edge *all the time* to get anything out of it. also, i like torque.

the c5 corvette had torque in excess -- probably more than i could really handle -- but it lacked the sophistication and finish of the other cars i was looking at.

the porsches were all killer on the road, and driving the boxster s will make anyone feel like a racecar driver -- seriously, it's easy to do things in that car that you wouldn't even think about doing in other cars. the interior was awkward and plastic, though, and the mid-engine setup didn't lend itself to inclement weather. the 993 scared the hell out of me, because if you're driving it to its full potential and then you make a mistake, you either end up in a ditch or wrapped around a tree. neither sounded like especially pleasant options... nor did learning how to drive all over again.

i don't know exactly what i didn't like about the m roadster, but it just didn't feel right to me. i was almost set to buy the m3 convertible, though, until i drove the TTr 225. i sat down in the driver's seat, and it felt like home... none of the other cars really did.

i strongly suggest that you do the same thing. you never know what you'll find out.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E50? I think that you are a bit confused here...

there was no E50.. Now if you mean the limited E500 from years ago, then that is a different story. But the new AMG cars are vastly superior to anything on the road in the price range in a number of aspects. And it does shift faster than a human can, and more accurately. As for the Trans Am, yes I am not thrilled with the swooshes, but everything else on the car is awesome. You get a true Corvette engine (they are simply underrated for sales) for about 30K or less.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:28 AM

It is a different tranny. The 32 tranny is a modified SL500 tranny.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If your into modding, go for it..

Don't get me wrong I love my car, but stock it just doesn't do enough for me.. So far with the coilovers I am beyond happy.. The car is amazing.. I suggest getting an exhaust before a chip simply to avoid an increase in engine temp due to the exhaust gases.. It might not be a problem (not something I ever tried proving), but theoretically an exhaust thats not allowing exhaust gases to flow away fast enough from the exhaust manifold could increase the temps of your engine (something I would avoid doing)..
Old 08-05-2002, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default damm thats a lot of test driving.. :) as for the 993 my answer is 993TT.. :)

Id like to make that my next edition to the family.. BTW nice writeup..
Old 08-05-2002, 09:30 AM

Default And who pays above sticker for a car that will be a dime a dozen and is up there with being the

preferred guido mobile in NJ along with 1980's Vettes!
Old 08-05-2002, 09:32 AM

Default Isn't it a problem always trying to fight against hitting the rev limiter?

Hey I have to give Honda more respect than BMW! At least Honda builds a solid engine that can rev that high, unlike BMW who's engine can't hold the RPM's it needs stock.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Didn't we have this bitch session a few days back???

Quick Reply: A new TT? Or something else...