TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

NJ leased vehicle - vaniTTy plates tutorial # One:

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 07:25 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ leased vehicle - vaniTTy plates tutorial # One:

I know a few of you (PGTT and ViaTT to name couple) are thinking of applying for vaniTTies so here is the complete procedure:

1. Go to DMV and pick up the application

2. Call your leasing co. and tell them you need either a Power of Attorney (Limited) allowing you to execute registration/vehicle plate documents in their name OR a Permission Letter which gives you the permission to place your vanity plate on their car.

3. Make sure you get one of the above documents BEFORE you mail the application because it MUST BE ATTACHED to your application. Tell the leasing co. what plate(s) you are requesting so that they can put that in the permission letter.

4. Mail the app./photocopy of registration/Power of Att. OR Permission Letter and check for $100 to DMV.

5. Wait by the mailbox for a couple months or until you forgot what you ordered and why your checking account is $100 short.

Hope that helps the NJ TT (or, "NewTTs as I call them). This process may be very similar in other states.
Old 11-21-2000, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've decided against it since there is no way to own/transfer the plate at the end of the lease.

At least that was my understanding from your previous posts. Thanks for the info though.

And no... still no problems with the blue side marker bulbs.
Old 11-21-2000, 08:01 AM
Elder Member

Default I'm not so sure about that....

I think ViaTT brought that issue up and I punted on worrying about it until my next TT. Personal plates are routinely transferred to new vehicles in NJ and I believe it can be arranged even if trading in a leased one. I'm not going to look into it now, but you can probably get an answer through the DMV info (live) line at 1-888-486-3339.

Those lights will look great in snow and ice!!!

BTW, don't get too defensive, but, I showed my girlfriend the pics that you posted last night of Helmut with his snow shoes and she said it looked as though you parked in Camden a little too long. Of course, I corrected her by letting her know that if you had parked in Camden, there wouldn't have been enough of the car left to take a picture of....
Old 11-21-2000, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heh, does not offend me at all.

Not really concerned on how Helmut looks in the winter... I'll be the one laughing last as I pass all the SUVs.

But... I'll keep the vanity plate idea on the backburner for now. Maybe I'll pursue and investigate it further early next year after the holidaze. Thanks again for the R&D on this one.
Old 11-21-2000, 08:14 AM

May be different in VA, but I had no problem keeping YELO SLK on my SLK when I bought it out.
Old 11-21-2000, 08:43 AM
Elder Member

Default In NY it was very simple to get the vanity plates .. .

I went to the NYS DMV website and just ordered the plates. After I got them on my next lease payment Chase has a place to fill in a new plate. I did that and mailed it in. The next month my vanity plate appeared! Coila' simple as pie.

Since the plate is in my name, they go with me if I were to ever give the car up. In NY, you own the plate for 1 year even after you get rid of the car the plates were purchased for. If you don't use the plates after a year they go back into circulation.