TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

NM TT Aesthetics

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-1999, 06:05 PM
Larry Guzin

Default NM TT Aesthetics

On May 6th my little fantasy came true, when I took possession of a Neiman Marcus TT (66/100) from Rusnak Audi of Thousand Oaks. I say "little fantasy" since I had not sought the car until two week prior. Yes, I saw the TT prototype at the L.A. car show a couple years earlier, but nothing clicked at the time. I had been weighing off a decision between an A6 and some type of SUV to replace my '87 Audi 5000 CS Turbo, when serendipity brought me to this forum with its lively band of TT enthusiasts. At once, it all became clear. I cast about the various So. Cal. dealers, making inquiries about "soft" orders on an NM TT and struck gold! When the judgment-less Nash Rambler driver who ordered my NM TT did not respond to Rusnak's phone calls, yours truly slid into the driver's seat at MSRP (and they threw in a TT baseball cap to boot)! In three simple words: "No buyer's remorse!"<p>I note some controversy about the NM TT paint and leather colors, so I would like to give one (obviously biased) man's opinion: The car is heart-stoppingly gorgeous! The many photos of an NM TT graciously provided by our de facto leader Brad Willis simply do not do the car justice. I know he'd agree. The photos show a rather leaden dark gray exterior contrasted with quite a garish orange interior. Before I saw the NM TT I was hoping the gray was equal to the non-metallic gunmetal gray of my '62 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider from days of yore. In fact, it's a very complex and stunning color. The 'ol hot rodder body man who has helped me put together a couple of Morgans put his jewler's loup to the paint and we could clearly see flecks of metallic pink, metallic green and black in the Nimbus paint mix. Artists will tell you that it's impossible to rationalize a valid description of a visual object and thus you must reality test to take the aesthetic measure of an art form. Check out an NM TT in reality and compare your impressions to mine! As for the interior, it's really a sophisticated persimmon, rather than a garish orange. To me, it's a perfect compliment to the Nimbus Gray Pearl Effect paintwork.<p>See one in reality and you be the judge. As for me, I am (and my TT is named) "SmiTTen"! Enjoy these exceptional chariots and let's keep this positive forum alive for us all to enjoy.<p>
Old 05-21-1999, 07:31 PM
Peter Ryckaert

Default Your are right, the NM is awesome. I drove it. However I do like my Silver/black. -nt

<br>nt
Old 05-22-1999, 06:17 PM
Brad Willis

Default Re: NM TT Aesthetics

As we all know, I love my NM TT! One thing that some may not be aware of, is that the Neiman Marcus TT's leather is a high-grade Nappa rather than Valcona. It is better quality than what is on a standard TT, and some of the nicest that I have seen. It's superior to my Mercedes'leather, and nicer than my dad's Jaguar's leather. Ofr course, the Valcona is very nice too!
Old 05-24-1999, 05:37 AM
Mike Szczesny

Default Re: NM TT Aesthetics

I could not agree more, and thank you for the great description! My wife and I just picked up (last week) #97 and we are thrilled!!! I'm new to this great web sight so I'll ask you, does anyone know where to get some quality mats for the car with the TT logo embroidered in them? If you do I would greatly apprieciate knowing the source! Thanks again for the great comments on "our" NM TT's ! Mike