TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

As a noob at AW, this is what I think. (long and opinionated)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As a noob at AW, this is what I think. (long and opinionated)

I'm new around these parts so I'm not sure how much my opinion is worth. But if you clicked on this then I guess you signed yourself up for it One of the things I appreciate most about this forum is the community feeling it has. We are all bonded by one thing and that is the love for this particular car. But beyond that we share our lives and how things shape around us. A lot of us here are identified as man/woman & machine with the TT, and we're compelled to tell our stories. What results is a completely AWESOME group of people that care about each other and come here each day to read about one another. I understand there is a place on this website for off-topic posts. And I understand that the intent for this board was to be an open forum for technical advice about the TT. But for us TT people it has simply become much more than that. The last thing I want this post to do is spark conflict so if you're mad at me please don't take it out here. Because my purpose in writing this was to say that the beauty of the TT forum is that we can make it whatever we want it to be. I don't think we are lacking technical advice in any way shape or form. And I for one think that we should keep this board alive with the human aspect that it has. So I'm really happy to have met you all online, and thanks for reading this.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default unfortunately, the people that pay for the bandwidth, think otherwise (more)

they think that we must compartmentalize our posts to the AW off topic forum...
I dont know how the separation helps anything but, when I asked a question a while back in the feedback forum, and was roundly ignored by the Mods.

I suggest that by default all members should be able to see all posts, and those that dont want to read Off Topic can change their "preferences" to reflect this. It will require proper use of the OT button, though.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The mods have really been pretty good about letting the TT owners police the board themselves

Aside from a few incidents in the past they mostly leave us alone.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with you.....
Old 07-20-2004, 05:22 AM

not again....
Old 07-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I don't think that's entirely true...

I've had a number of conversations with the moderators and especially with Jason. I won't try to speak for him, but I think he does understand that there is/was a certain dynamic here that doesn't always lend itself well to the AWOT forum.

It was the site's founders who created the OT icon and allowed hard core technical types the option to omit the viewing of OT posts in preferences. To his credit, this site's founder has admitted that the OT over-moderation that caused many to leave was handled poorly by AudiWorld. Truth be known, the moderators have not been heavy-handed in quite some time.

If you look at the comments of some of these guys flipping out over a post about a new freeway (I still don't get that), the remarks are not coming from the founders or moderators, but rather, from individuals who seem to have little to do other than intensely worry about such trivial matters. Then, they can't see the irony when they tell *me* to "get a life".

God forbid if someone posts something remotely different or interesting about life, love or the state of the world. Let's just stick to the same dull technical "boy racer" questions repeated ad nauseum.

I can't speak for others, but my diet needs some spice and variety from time to time.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would prescribe a dose of TOF to the good Doctor. There was...

a mass exodus of many people from this forum to another. Many felt the moderating here was too ridgid. The other forum has a great bunch of people IMO. It's definitely more personal & less about the car/technical stuff. I am still very much into the car so I visit both places.