TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Not so egg-cited about egg damage to my TT...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-1999, 04:49 PM
Jason Dale

Default Possible solution?

Brad, have you thaought about using a clay bar. The kit that I bought a few years ago consisted of a spray lubricant and a grey clay bar. It really does a great job getting rid of contaminants on the surface. Might be worth a shot. Sorry to hear and good luck.<p>Jason Dale<br>Audi Technician <br>Ken Garff Motors<br>Provo, UT
Old 06-02-1999, 06:09 PM
Rik

Default Scratch & Dent Magicians

Here in CT there is an outfit that uses some process I cannot Fathom.<br>Called 'Scratch & Dent Magicians" they can restore without Painting, or buffing ( I have seen paint BURN by Someone with a overzealous hand. <br>I had a dent the size of a golfball dent and before I sat down they were finished.<br>10 minutes, no buffing, no mismatched paints, in fact no painting at all.<br>They are in Hartford CT. <br>I'm willing to bet it is a franchise. Call these guys up & see if they can plug you into something local.<br> I also use a product called ULTRA FINISH (1800 666 8587), it is GREAT FOR Scratches & restoring a paint job, IT has NO ABRASIVES the guys here swear that it is all you need but I believe I am a ZAINO Bros Fan for putting a protective layer on. After about a year I can see me Zeroing the paint with Ultra finish & then # layers of ZAINO Bros "polish".<br>Rik<br>
Old 06-02-1999, 10:20 PM
dfs

Default egg is VERY bad...

Had a friend get his new acura hood egged. He didn't find his car had been egged until it'd dried for over a day. The egg destroyed the paint completely down to the metal. I couldn't believe it when I saw it--his new black hood had a splat shaped gap of exposed silver metal. Insurance paid for repainting his hood.
Old 06-02-1999, 11:46 PM
Lou

Default Here we go Brad....

Brad<p>Although the people I’m talking to cannot promise anything, as they haven’t seen your car, they are professionals in the reconditioning business and they say that you should have good faith.<br>This is not a common problem but they do have some egg-sperience.<p>Normally abrasive polishes don’t work. You can try it if the scratches (acid pores really) are very minor but it will probably not get as deep as needed. (Without ruining the clearcoat)<p>The method to go for, is to go to a professional reconditioner that knows about and can use chemical abrasives. This method kind of solves the paint itself and reapplies it to the car in a polishing mode. It sounds really harsh, but believe me the result is outstanding and I use it often when I get bird **** on the paint. You should see the seagulls we have here, they are as big as albatrosses and the dodo they leave behind is like tennisballs.<p>The products to ask for that my people use is:<br>Smartab<br>Easycut<br>Primecut<p>Hope this helps<p>Lou<br>
Old 06-03-1999, 06:42 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Here we go Brad....

Thanks Lou, and to the rest of you for your comments and suggestions. I spoke with my dealer's service manager, and he has generously agreed to try to repair it for no cost. He said that they will do an "acid wash", which sounds pretty caustic to me, but I'm sure (or at least I hope) that they know what they're doing. From there, they will have their detailers work on it. I'll let you know what the results are.
Old 06-03-1999, 01:08 PM
Warren Wang

Default Using wool lamb mitt (wet or not) is asking for scratches (NT)

nt