TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

NTB screwed up my rims while mounting tires. What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTB screwed up my rims while mounting tires. What can I do?

I got my tires mounted and when I got home to clean off all the brakedust and fingerprints I noticed a lot of marks on the rims. There were a bunch of fine scratches from the mounting maching with some black scrapes that came off with some WD-40. Then to my horror, I saw that they must have took out the valve stem with the jaws-of-life. The area around it is all boogered up. Then I was cleaning off the tape residue from the old weights and saw huge (literally), deep gouges from whatever they used to take them off. To top it off, it looks like the guy doing it was practicing to be a NASCAR tire changer. He needs to go back to school though because he missed the lugs a few times and dinged up the face of the rims. I am so pissed off about it and wondering what kind of retribution I can get from them. The rims were pristine before and now are noticably screwed up. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg
Old 01-02-2002, 08:03 AM

My suggestion : grab a baseball bat :P
Old 01-02-2002, 08:25 AM

Default They screwed up my wheels as well....

I kept my snows on and made them refinish them. They sent them out for a few days and I got them back looking brand new!
Old 01-02-2002, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go right back and speak to the manager...that's one reason they're outta business here...
Old 01-02-2002, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires Plus did it to me...

They screwed up a Porsche wheel of mine a couple years ago after SPECIFICALLY telling me they could do it. I threw a small fit when I came back for the wheel (my young son was with me) and demanded a new wheel- I think the guy was scared- they got me a new wheel from Wheel Enhancement ( a new take off) after I gave the name of the place. They first said they would have it fixed, and I said that wasn't acceptable. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome to the club; Discount Tire did it to me...

Several small scratches on the face, and the valve stem rim area was <i>totally</i> chewed up.

This is because the "correct" way to pull a valve stem is to remove the tire and snip it off from the inside of the wheel. But that takes time.

99.9% of the time they use a tool that works like a bottle opener - it has a hook that hooks over the rim and they pry the valve stem off; instantly deflating the tire, saving them two steps of work. Of course, since you're prying on aluminum, you can guess what that does to your rim...

I never did get a satisfactory response. They wanted to send the wheels out to be refinished, but that takes 3-4 days each and unless you enjoy driving on your compact spare for a <i>month</i>, that's not an acceptable solution.

Worse yet, the wheel that did come back looked like the shop just sprayed it with Krylon Clear Coat.

I decided to live with it, as odds are road crud will scar my wheels up anyway, but by all means at least <i>try</i> to get NTB (or Tires Plus, or whoever) to pay for new wheels; I doubt you'll succeed, though...

As a side note, since my wheels had already been damaged once, when I needed to have another set of tires mounted, I went with a tire shop recommended by my dealer as they use them for all their work.

That shop not only put in <i>more</i> scratches, they also lost <i>all</i> of the grey plastic lug bolt covers (yes, all 20...)
Old 01-02-2002, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's great if you have extra wheels; if not, you're screwed...

If all you have is your compact spare, you're out of luck; see my post above...