TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Odd "stumble" on boost - happened a couple times this weekend....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd "stumble" on boost - happened a couple times this weekend....

I switched over to an APR flash about two months ago now. I've also been running it with the boost machine now for the last month. I had it set with 1.5 +/- onset and 4 turns on boost. Cranked it up another 1/4 turn recently. I've also been running 1 temp colder plugs for a few thousand miles as well.

Hadn't had any problems until this weekend and even then it happend only 2-3 times. It would hit peak boost - and stumble a bit - like a hiccup. Thought it might have been a misfire - but no codes upon Vag'n it when I got home last night.We went from temps in the high fifties to the mid nineties yesterday on the drive and that didn't seem to make any difference. Again - it only happed a couple times the day before and once yesterday - but not quite as bad and the first two times.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Rest In Peace

Default plug gaps come to mind Joe>>>>

coil packs too...without misfires though....what boost levels you running???
You running an adjustable FPR??? or a 4 bar???
MAF could also be an issue....my stumbles were related to plug gaps and it reared its head as the temps here in the east got warmer....in pulling the plugs, the gaps were as high as .042 and that was after about 12k on Denso IK22's...

If you are running Denso's, it is possible that the gaps are out a bit, hence it is a minor hiccup....

Just a thought...
Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Might be time to lube the DV too.....>>

One thing I never liked about the piston styles was that occasional hiccup on transition..
Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was thinking the colder plugs/gap as well. I gapped em at .028 when I installed...

went with the NGK BK7IEX - which i'm also running in the Avant. Plugs are maybe 6 months old.

As for boost - 23-24psi peak - holds right around 21psi or so according to the boost gauge. I'm running stock 3 bar FPR.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It happened under WOT though. DV was recently serviced but It's easy to check
Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Default i reset mine to .030......>>

and the car is running fine.....with that boost pressure you will definitely expose any electrical inefficiencies with the plugs or packs. I had the boost machine turned up and she was spiking to 25psi and the car would shudder on sustained boost, but it still pulled hard. I turned the BM down 1/4 turn, and she was still boosting to 24psi, but the shudder was gone...i think the car was trying to tell me to turning it down! ;-)

Had not thought of the DV that scwhing mention, but that is definitely a symptom of high boost and piston DV's...sometimes they just do not transition quick enough, but you noted it happened at WOT. I am still running a diaphragm based DV and do not experience those issues....

So you do not have a **** correct?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I put the same plugs in my car about 2 months ago, and am having similar problems

Let us know what happens!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a **** - it's just in a box :-) I've been waiting to get an adj. FPR before installing it

I did turn the BM down that 1/4 turn and it did help a bit. I'll check the plug gap tonight. I've had that **** since the project started - just never installed it.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've run stock plugs since I bought the car but decided to try one range colder and chose these

since they've been getting good results on the 2.0T and lots of 1.8T modded guys run the copper versions of these. My avant is running better with em.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I will pretend that Schwing>>>

is not tracking this thread!!! ;-P

IMO, beyond the current situation, you need the ****, but install it with a Adjustable FPR....once i had done that and combined it with the 3" DP, i was able to completely turn off my creep valve on the BM...car pulls like a v6 (most that have drive it say the same...even my local Porsche tuner thinks it MAY be the smoothest turbo setup they have ever felt)

On the other issue, the boost is part of the problem.....turn it down till you check the gaps....my Denso's have been flawless..not much of an uptake on $$$ for solid performance IMO

Quick Reply: Odd "stumble" on boost - happened a couple times this weekend....