TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

!!!Odd treadwear on rear tires update: bad rear struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 10:03 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!Odd treadwear on rear tires update: bad rear struts

My car is at the dealer for them to explain why my rear tires are wearing in an odd way on the inside edge of the tread. It is about a 1.5" swath of treadblocks that are wearing in an alternating pattern.

This rough diagram exemplifies the wear pattern. You are looking at the right tire from the rear of the car.

#@@@
@@@@
#@@@
@@@@
#@@@

The update I got a little while ago is that bad struts were in my suspension recall kit. Luckily the Mark II struts were in stock in the local warehouse. I am possibly getting new tires out of this as well.

More later...
Old 02-20-2001, 10:26 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice artwork. Glad they found the problem. You definitely should get new tires.
Old 02-20-2001, 10:42 AM

Default You gotta love free stuff!

To bad you have to mess with it at all though...
;<
Old 02-20-2001, 01:23 PM

Alignment may also be bad. They'll realign with the new struts, right?
Old 02-20-2001, 02:31 PM
Elder Member

Default Alignment on rears checked out 100% correct on the Hunter alignment machine.

Fronts were off a tiny bit.

The struts were definitely bad. Car rides different. Better rebound. For Monroes, anyway. I need to swap the tire pressures front/back in the morning as the tires were rotated. I did not have them replace the tires yet. We rotated them and if the tires that were good and on the front start to display the same symptom now that they are on the rear, they will get AoA directly involved.

Pretty simple, really, as Fwd TT's have fixed rear axle and no camber adjustment. If it ain't the shocks, escalate up the chain. The service manager has absolutely no hesitation replacing my tires if that is my desire and they stock RE730's.

I am satisfied at this point. The noise from the tires is now more pronounced now that they are on the front, but I was told the tread should even out with wear. If not, new tires.

Did I miss anything?
Old 02-20-2001, 03:53 PM

Default Wow! I didn't realize it was a FWD. My son's '00 GTI (same platform)...

gets perfectly even wear on rears. He's a very aggressive driver. He does have Eibach pro-kit springs, shox and bars. I can highly recommend it. The "kit", along with 225/45-17 730's on 7.5 wheels, transformed the GTI. His evaluation is that it's a little stiffer than the 180TTQ, but about equal on the road. He does win auto-x's with the GTI, but hasn't tried the TT.

This platform has one of the best beam axle suspensions I've seen. We should discuss it sometime. You goin' to Fallingwater?
Old 02-20-2001, 05:00 PM
Elder Member

Default I wish I could return to the vicinity of my college haunting grounds, but no,

I will not be attending the Fallingwater event. Selling and buying a house in preparation for our first born in September.

I went to PSU. I enjoyed visiting Picksburgh when I was there and I'd love to see it again without the limitations of a poor student!

I'm open to any e-mail discussion of the beam axle suspension, but you must know that I will be in the student mode for that convo!

Thx John and take care.
Old 02-20-2001, 05:17 PM

Picksburgh. Never heard that. lol!
Old 02-20-2001, 05:29 PM
Elder Member

That's how they talk there, in my recollection. I'm fixin' to go now.
Old 02-20-2001, 05:32 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I'll have two pickets to ...

Quick Reply: !!!Odd treadwear on rear tires update: bad rear struts