TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Oil change every 7k, Oil Filter change every 14k, Tire Rotating every 7k ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change every 7k, Oil Filter change every 14k, Tire Rotating every 7k ...

Are the intervals above seem ok?

My plan is to buy a Pela oil extrator and do the intermediate changes myself, and for the changes that require a filter change (every other change) I bring it to a shop (don't want to deal with digging out the filter, etc). And the tire rotating I'll just do every time there's an oil change (myself or shop).

Questions ...

(1) Which Oil Filter should I buy? Should I get this from the dealer, or which brand at a local shop should I get? I don't want to buy cheapo ones that will not filter properly ..... :P

(2) roughly how often do you check your oil to top it off?

(3) I've never changed the oil myself before... do you literally just drop off your oil at a recycling center and that's it? Or should it cost?

(4) OT: How do you know when you need to change the air filter?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

oil and oil filter at the SAME TIME....always
Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 AM
Rest In Peace

Default here are my answers....>>>>

lots of folks differ on oil intervals, and some oils will claim that the oil does better if left in there for longer intervals (like 10k)....that said...

Oil change and filter for me every 5k with Mobil 1 0w-40.
Tire rotation is dependent on wear. Some performance based tires wear quicker than others, so waiting till 7k could be half their life expectancy....personally, i try to do this every 5k as well....

1- Use the OEM filter or a Mahle..
2- Check the oil every 1k miles till you understand how much your car burns, if any at all. Adjust from there.....No need to top off until it is down a full quart...
3- Depends on your town/city....you can also check with your local tuner/gas station (with bays) and ask if you can dump your oil there....they may charge you 5 or 10$ depending...
4- Read the manual....i believe they call for a new air filter every 20k....IIRC. You can replace with a K&N or equivalent then service it yourself. You pay a bit more, but it is a filter for life.....
Old 12-03-2007, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sounds good to me... ;-)
Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 AM

Default One more thing to add...

To get rid of old oil, try an auto parts store. I always bring mine to Autozone. I think they drink it........
Old 12-03-2007, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

FTW!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 258 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Here's what I do ----------------------------------->

Order filter from Impex, OEM or Mahle.
Buy oil at Autozone, Mobil One 0-40 .
Take it to my independent shop. He charges me $20. I tip the tech $20. (always tip your mechanic if he is good to you )

My total cost is about $75.00 and I stay clean :-)

I do mine at 10000 miles. I'm at 79000 now and use zero oil between changes. zero.

In 100000 miles I'll pay $750.00 for ten oil changes. Your way might be a bit cheaper, but not a lot.

My tire rotation happens as I switch out tires for track events. About 5000 miles is a good number for front to rear rotation however if you just do it at 10000 and count on replacing at about 25000 it won't be a bad way to do it. If alignment is in spec and air pressure is correct, tires wear very evenly across the tread. Fronts wear a bit faster due to the forward weight bias and braking.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default great answers! a few questions ... :P

(1) can the OEM or Mahle be picked up at a local store like autozone?

(2) the dipstick doesn't have markers for the quarts I don't think, how do I know when it's a quart? actually, how do I know when I'm pouring in the oil that it's about to be full? lol (i can measure a 5th of that for the quart I guess since a full thing is around 4.8L?)

(3) Will look into this, hopefully autozone will take oil without charge. Where do I get the canisters to put used oil in? Or should I get it from them before doing the change?

(4) if I replace with a K&N air filter (which I assume can be purchased at autozone), can it really last for the life of the car? do I need to manually clean it? is it easy to replace? lol
Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default a bit more...

The OEM is from Audi. Most stores can get the Mahle although I have been happy with the FramsI use.

The dipstick should have two marks. The top one is full and the bottom is done one quart

Put the old oil back in the containers you bought the new oil in.

A K&amp;N will last a long time. It is pretty easy to do in the stock housing. Nedds to be cleaned every 10K I believe but it depends on the dust conditions. You may want to look at an aftermarket air filter. The stock housing is a little restrictive especially on a 225. Try<ul><li><a href="http://www.modshack.info/windex.htm">Modshack</a></li></ul>
Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

? If you don't have oil pressure problems then Why?

Quick Reply: Oil change every 7k, Oil Filter change every 14k, Tire Rotating every 7k ...