TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Oil filler cap covered inside with white/ light greenish film ..............

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filler cap covered inside with white/ light greenish film ..............

checking my oil level as I always do while filling up, I noticed a sludge film on the inside of filler cap! Called my friend who is the service manager at the Audi dealer where I bought and service my TT, he states Audi has asked them to " keep an eye" on any sludge problems on the 1.8T.

The car has 14m km ( 8680 miles) and I have changed the oil three times in 14m km so it hardly has had time to build up sludge. The Service Manager states its caused by condensation and is common on that engine.

No white sreaks on dip stick, or coolant loss! I was in my suit at the time, so tonight I will get out the rubber gloves and check the crank case!

On the way into work I stopped to have a tech have a look (different dealer) I had wiped the cap clean, but he gave me the same answer (condensation) very common, high point of the 1.8T engine, so you see it on the cap. My TT is driven 80%+ on the freeway, not much short trips.

Anyone else noticed this? My friend says most don't even check their oil, wait for oil light , so they probably wouldn't notice! Hey he doesn't know TT form members !

Thanks Brian
Old 11-05-2002, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know it's a shot in the dark. Try replacing the oil cap. You can use a generic VW/Audi

one from pep boys etc.

My wifes bug had the exact same symptoms. I suspected the oil cap seal was letting moisture in. Sure enough I replaced the cap with some ugly gold thing and problem was solved. The gold colored cap is still on there.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:10 PM

Sounds like water/condensation/coolant to me. Coolant system leakdown test time, IMHO.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:27 PM

Default "very common", very common!!!! VERY COMMON . . .

ouchies, sounds like head gasket blues . . .
Old 11-05-2002, 01:37 PM

Default Ha you got nothing on me...

so I went to the dealer today...for the usual oil in coolant problem, Ive had the oil cooler changed and replaced several times...car is running slow as usual and smells like exxon valdez..anyways...tons of oil in coolant..service manager goes out to parking lot with me and dips in finger into coolant...pulls it out...nothing but oil dripping off of it...so looks like my car is off the road again..as for your problem, I would check the coolant to verify no oil in it..my oil cap is also green tinged, but I have no signs of oil mizxing with coolant, just separated oil floating on top...
Old 11-05-2002, 01:54 PM

Default Let me guess...

The Service Manager then proceeded to say...

"They all do that"
Old 11-05-2002, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yeah...you need to lose the "waterbox" thing....>>

JazziTT had a few replaced, and pretty common over on Vortex. Modshack Oilcooler will solve all your problems!
Old 11-05-2002, 02:08 PM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't worry and don't do anything drastic......

It is merely condensation that collects under the oil filler cap that cannot vent or evapaorate. It is normally due to in town driving to the point that the engine and oil never get to optimum temps for long. I had a lot of this "mayonaise" under the cap of my VW Eurovan and it goes on errands and a few blocks daily but not much more. I asked my dealer and he said wipe it out and don't worry.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:10 PM

lol...no not at all...he knows I have no sense of humour about this...
Old 11-05-2002, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Don't worry and don't do anything drastic......

thanks I hope you are correct! Checked coolant no oil visible in overflow tank, no coolant mix on dip stick!

Quick Reply: Oil filler cap covered inside with white/ light greenish film ..............