TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Oil in intake and smoke coming from exhaust (APX)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in intake and smoke coming from exhaust (APX)

Hi All,
First of all I’m sorry about my English. I’m from Finland and couldn’t get answer from here so I had to move a little wider area

I have a real annoying problem which I really like to get solved.

My car "breaths" oil in air intake and that way it goes through whole engine via turbo and comes out from exhaust like blue smoke. If I take MAF off and put my hand to the intake pipe it leaves pure oil in to my fingers. Everything inside is covered with oil, intake, pressure pipe, etc. I have checked ventilation system and there is no clogging and PVC valve (tested with my mouth ) seems to be working just fine. Oil is not coming out side of the engine. I also checked leakage from cylinders (pressurising cylinders one by one) and every cylinder was in normal limits.

My old turbo (2860RS) broke down. Exhaust part bearing where just messed up and I don't know what caused that. When I was changing turbo I noticed also then that there was "lots" of oil in intake. Now there is new turbo (3071) and I’ve been driving with really low boost because I don't have new software yet. Everything was working fine until few weeks ago when my car started smoke from exhaust?! Turbo still sounds good so I believe problem is not in there. And even if turbo is messed up I can't figure out how it could cause engine ventilate oil in intake?

If there is any Ideas what could case this please let me know.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey !

Not sure if you have got this problem fixed yet?

Im guessing that this will be an turbo oil seal leaking - it will be in the intake pipe because the Turbo will blow it through their.
As that is how a turbo works by spinning the exhaust gas's back through the engine - so if oil is leaking through the Turbo oil seals then it will then get pushed through the intake/throttle body etc
Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not fixed yet. I'm waiting few parts to get everything back together and motor running for testing.

Turbo oil seal is one possibility but should oil come from the ventilation hose to the intake if that's the case? I believe not? Because I'm sure that that's where the oil comes from (from ventilation system to the intake). If it's turbo oil seal doesn't this mean that then oil should come only through the bypass valve to the intake?
Well if it's turbo oil seal leaking it means that my new 3071 last all 400km?! (Garretts can't be fixed? Right?) Well I sure hope my turbo is fine! (it sound good at the moment and there is no cap for any direction so bearings are still fine)

But anyway I will check turbo and oil lines as ventilation system again next week and I will comment here as soon as I have something to give. Although it will take 1-2 weeks till I get my parts to get my car running again.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah Ok - One other thing i done when i had oil coming from the Breather on another car instead of attaching it to the Intake.
Put a small breather filter on their and block off the one on the intake - as when the intake sucks the air in it may have enough sucking power to suck it from the Crank Case which in turn push's around all the pipes !

clean out the pipes and try this - ?

Let me know how you get on
Old 07-13-2009, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yesterday I removed turbo and oil lines to the turbo. Oil lines where just fine but with my luck turbo was gone once again!

I can't figure out any other reasons what is breaking turbo than pressure in crank chamber or poor turbo?!
But what can be causing pressure in crack chamber? I can only think two possibilities: 1. poor pcv valve? 2. Leakage through pistons?

I have checked pcv valve, but it seems to be OK. And we have measured leakage from cylinders and there was not any alarming leakage.

I’m frustrated. This is getting quite expensive to change turbo in every 300-400km?! Well it seems that I have no other possibility than take whole engine out and rip it parts. Then I can check everything.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Huoh, some releasing info. Turbo wasn't broken after all! So back to ventilation broblem. Now I'm just waiting few parts to arrive and then back to testing... I keep you informed how things go...
Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It could be that the oil seal on the turbo is damaged. That's one possible scenario.

Do you get any white smoke (sometimes or often) when starting the engine? If so then some the valve stem seals might be crushed/damaged (exhaust and intake).
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

It could be that the oil seal on the turbo is damaged. That's one possible scenario.
That is possible but impossible check from Garrett turbo. Now I only can wish that it's not the problem because it means the same than broken bearing etc. need of new turbo.

White smoke? Hmmm, I think yes, sometimes when starting engine?! Well I can't say smoke, it was more like fog I believe. Need to check those when I'm pulling down whole engine, so that's latest next winter.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's a scenario, but a very unlikely one. I have not seen a GT series turbo with a broken oil seal before. You might get a small amount of oil blow by from the bearing seal if you use a large dia. Oil line feeding the turbo, but that’s about it.

Your most likely scenario is damaged valve stem seals.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't remember diam of oil line but it's not so large that it should cause that problem.

But thanks for you idea and I will certainly check valve stem seals and change those to new ones.

Quick Reply: Oil in intake and smoke coming from exhaust (APX)