TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

ok i have a definate problem with my cooling system.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok i have a definate problem with my cooling system.

ok i have a definate problem with my cooling system. and until i can take it to get looked at on monday-tuesday i have some driving in it that i have to do. i keep filling the coolant and in the morning when i look at it the overflow is always empty and i get the coolant temp warning in the dash on startup. but after a drive for awhile the coolant is back up where it should be, but always lower each day that goes by, so i know that im losing coolant somehow. car is not showing any signs of overheating. its going to be 90+ the next few days so i wanted to check here. i am going to add water to keep it topped off by suggestion of someone on this forum. i checked the oil to see if it was milky and it looks just perfect. i am getting no signs of leaking under the car when i park it at all. could it possibly be a bad radiator in a car with only 57000 miles and what does that cost. or is it most likly a hose. what is the best and worse case senerio. i have to get the timing belt done this month and dont need any extra BS costs. but if it sounds like the start of a waterpump problem, ill just get the timing belt job done sooner. i just want to be educated about the possible problems before i take it to get it fixed. thanks for your help in advance.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default If you're loosing fluid that quickly,

It's because there's a leak somewhere. When your car warms up, I'd pop the hood and look for "smoke." That should alert you to where the leak is coming from... Look at hoses first, as those always seem to have been my problem. Then I'd look at the radiator, then I'd go down the motor towards the water pump area... which begs the question- did you do your timing belt/ water pump replacement yet??? 57000 mi, you know that's going to be the first thing everyone else asks!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: If you're loosing fluid that quickly,

have seen not a trace of smoke when the engine heats up. and i have not done the TB replacement yet. i was going to get to it this month when i hit 60000. by the way....where is the waterpump located? and any pictures you could post to help me find it would be great. thanks.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:34 AM

WOW nobody here knows where the waterpump is located. i find that hard to believe.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have no personally located my water pump yet- because I have not gone looking for it... but based on my knowledge of engines, I'd look on the left side of your motor. It should be a part of your belt/pully system.