TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

ok -- i have a real car question, too. will our regular auto insurance cover track runs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok -- i have a real car question, too. will our regular auto insurance cover track runs...

(not racing) of our tt's? how about liability coverage if we cause someone else to have an accident on the track? or are we at significant financial risk any time we're on the track?

this just came up on our local audi club's e-mail list, but without a real answer.

thanks!
Old 01-24-2003, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think if they find out you are on a track of any kind, you can kiss it

goodbye
Old 01-24-2003, 04:54 AM
Elder Member

Default Each insurance company is totally different . .

many companies have it right in the policy that not even drivers schools are allowed. If you were to call and ask and give your name and policy number, you will be red flagged and if an incident occurs near a track, they would investigate. This has happened LOTS of times to people.

What has been done for years has been to have the crashed car either driven(if possible) or towed by another "racer" to the nearrest higheway and "re-crash" the car. I am not advocating cheating insurance companies . . . but how do they expect people to get better if not for drivers schools?

I have been lucky that I never had a crash on a track except in a race car, so I never had to do the tow and roll. But I have known MANY, MANY people that have done this and have even towed a few cars for people and helped them push the car down the embankment.

Dave, call your carrier and ask an anonymous question and make certain your caller ID is turned off.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:00 AM

Default i assume a careful reading of my policy would accomplish the same thing?...

i had no idea that this was so risky. ouch!
Old 01-24-2003, 05:07 AM
Elder Member

Default Not necessarily

Many companies don't put it into the policy and many people have been bit on the *** as a result of this "unwritten rule".

It is just another game that we have to play in order to have fun.

So long as you go to the school with the intention of NOT driving over your head you will be fine.

If/when you call the insurance company make 100% certain to clearly state it is a driver improvement school. It just happens to be taking place at "Summit Point" or whatever other track it is. I have heard of insurance companies cancelling policies on auto-xers if you believe that.

They do anything and everything in their power to screw us and keep the money in their pockets.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Elder Member

They will cover it as long as you don't damage it in any way.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Or if you happen to damage it, you should pay for it on your own

and then not claim it.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:19 AM
Elder Member

Default State Farm in Florida says you are allowed on a track as long as you are not timing. No autox, no

dragging.

My agent actually understood that these track events are safety training (they are, I am a much better driver for taking them.) Also, when I told him they were instructor led he had no problem and my policy just says "timed."

When a certain A4 owner destroyed his car at Roebling Road insurance paid for it.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:21 AM

Default we all could have predicted these two responses. :-p ...

this (the insurance companies, not your and dave's replies) still won't stop me from getting a stage 3, however. :-)
Old 01-24-2003, 05:22 AM

Default thanks, ivan and larry -- guess i'll call my agent and find out about driver training sessions at...

summit point and vir.

Quick Reply: ok -- i have a real car question, too. will our regular auto insurance cover track runs...