TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

ok -- i have a real car question, too. will our regular auto insurance cover track runs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 05:23 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a personal attack Larry, but if people that do that think the insurance adjuster is too stupid

to understand the type of impact he sees on a car (track collision vs. ditch roll) you (collective you) are pulling blinders over your own eyes.

I was laughed at when I joked about doing that at the track when the rollover occured.

There is supplemental insurance to be had for this kind of stuff. Lord knows where to get it. I think Lloyd knows now that I think about it.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:24 AM
Elder Member

Default NO NO NO NO. Make an anonymous call. They do track this stuff. The red flags are real.

Or search the web for supplemental insurance or call the ACCNA or whomever is putting on the event for advice. They have to know in general what to do.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:26 AM
Elder Member

You know it's the truth.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:37 AM

i'll have a friend (i still have one or two) call my company and ask.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:39 AM

Default absolutely -- both your and sean's responses are 100% accurate...

and 100% useless.

;-)
Old 01-24-2003, 05:41 AM
Elder Member

Default understood . . .

by pushing into a ditch, it is more a figure of speech. Yes, we "recreated" the accident from the track, but placing the car in a similar situation. Never once did someone not get paid. However reporting the incident from the track has resulted in many policy cancellations and nothing be paid.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are batting perfect then and doing our job!
Old 01-24-2003, 05:48 AM

Default For reference, here's what was posted on the list Dave is referring to:

Ladies and Gents,

Update on my dilemma with Allstate regarding coverage for my 7 while participating in high performance driving events. To recap, in short Allstate has added new language to their policies that specifically **EXCLUDES* coverage when the insured vehicle is used at or on any track used for racing. This is not just for a vehicle that is being raced or used in competition but simply driving your car **ON** a race track. By my interpretation this would also mean even for those lunchtime fun laps for the general public the vehicle in question would NOT be covered.

Sooooo.... I called Liberty Mutual to ask them what my rates for their coverage would be for my three vehicles knowing from past experience that Liberty Mutual will cover a car used at an HPDE. Ben from Liberty Mutual has come to several MSCW meetings over the past few years and specifically stated this to our club members.
Many club member have insurance coverage through LM simply because of this. I was hoping too as well.

Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but from a call with Ben this morning he informed me that Liberty Mutual has/is following suite with the major insurers
and, like Allstate, adding similar langauge to all their policies that would exlude coverage for any vehicle used on a racetrack even if it is not used in competition or for racing.

Be prepared that even if you are not covered by a major carrier, like Allstate, your policies will change also in the near future. So be sure to read the fine print when your policy renewal notice is sent. This appears to be an industry wide position that will have dire consequences for us all and it truely will become a case of if you can't afford to push the car off a clif then don't take it on a track. Because if you do and you have "an issue" chances are repair costs are coming out of your own pocket.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Elder Member

Default Understood backatcha. It is a dicey proposition to take your car to the track nonetheless

but it's sooooo much fun.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:10 AM

thanks, ellen -- exactly the right post.

Quick Reply: ok -- i have a real car question, too. will our regular auto insurance cover track runs...