TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Ok, this is just getting ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm anti any ally who only like the US when it benefits them.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL, but people are only our enemies when it benefits us! ;-)
Old 03-13-2003, 07:49 PM

People are enemies when they threaten US or our allies. if "benefit" =reduction of threat, agreed!
Old 03-13-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Like we haven't done more than our share of threatening....

THINK about what you're saying. Just this week Bush threatened to retaliate against Putin if he didn't get on the bus.

And then we send 117s over to the Pacific Rim, but I suppose in your book that is not a threat to NK.

Then yesterday, Bush threatened Tony Blair.

This is getting WAAAAAAYYYYYY out of hand.

Is that the way to win friends and influence enemies?

Petty squabbling does not pass for smart diplomacy and imaginative solutions in my book.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:12 PM

Default See, you're making a very common mistake in logic with your arguments...

It is every sovereign nation's perogative to apply force or the threat of force when one's safety is in question. I hope you could agree that this type of defensive "threatening" is wholly different than the threat that Iraq and North Korea, or Al Quaeda when in Afghanistan, pose to their neighbors.

Do you think inspectors would've been readmitted into Iraq without the threat of force the US applied?

The other argument that some use often is, "How have Iraq or North Korea threatened the US? They can't reach us." While this would have been a strong argument on September 10, 2001, I think the US learned since then that those who would provide these weapons and technologies to militant non-sovereign groups present a clear and present danger to the safety of the United States.

I won't even go into how Germany posed no "threat" to the US when it invaded France. Lets just be glad that FDR fought the sentiment at that time that we should stay out of European affairs.

End of Rant, flame suit on!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:26 PM

Default Logic rooted in peace, not war. Your logic foiled by imperialistic assumptions on which it's based.

Old 03-13-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Unfortunately peace is not a unilateral declaration. We were attacked. And imperialism...

is the policy of extending a nation's authority by territorial acquisition or by the establishment of economic and political hegemony over other nations.

The President has stated he is interested in the disarmament of Saddam Hussein and a change of regime to a democratic governement controlled by the people if Iraq. Not the territory in Iraq or political/economic hegemony.

France was an imperialistic nation once though, along with Britain and Spain.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:40 PM

Precisely, Alan. Remember - peace, not war!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Agreed. "We seek peace. We strive for peace. And sometimes peace must be defended." GWB

"We seek peace. We strive for peace. And sometimes peace must be defended. A future lived at the mercy of terrible threats is no peace at all. If war is forced upon us, we will fight in a just cause and by just means -- sparing, in every way we can, the innocent. And if war is forced upon us, we will fight with the full force and might of the United States military -- and we will prevail."
President George W. Bush
State of the Union Address to Congress
January 23. 2003
Old 03-13-2003, 08:46 PM

Good debate BTW, I usually just get yelled at by friends as a stinkin conservative!

Quick Reply: Ok, this is just getting ridiculous