TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OK, WHO HAS SPUN OUR CRASHED --- I would like to know MORE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-1999, 10:08 AM
Andy W

Maybe I'd deploy my Airbag and hope it would act as a Parachute! (nt)
Old 10-22-1999, 10:12 AM
John J. Szobocsan

Default See this week's Autobild.de for more details (more)

Jim and other forum readers:

The current issue of Autobild (www.autobild.de) has an article on the instability problem with the TT. The article includes several interviews with german TT owners and the handling problems that they have encountered. While I agree that driver error is a major contributing factor I also feel, after reviewing the german literature, that the TT does exhibit sudden at-the-limit responses that make it difficult for the person of average, or even above average, skill to maintain control. Everyone can talk about driving in the perfect world and track time is a good facsimile for this but we exist in a world far from perfect. How many times do we encounter the Ford Explorer driver in your example? What happens when this individual decides to change lanes, on a curve, and we, the TT owner, has to brake suddenly? Winter driving could change some forum members' opinion on the handling traits of the TT.

I do contend that the subject and the barrage of articles is over-blown and border-line irrational but I will continue to monitor the handling issue with a jaundiced eye. Fact is the TT can react abruptly when the handling limit is crossed. I do feel that the TT is a very good handling car but I do not feel the same level of refinement under braking that a Porsche Boxster exhibits. The TT can outbrake a Boxster but the with more drama; the Boxster is efffortlessly pulled down from 100 mph+ speeds.

This being said the TT still represents a tremendous value for the dollar (or mark). I still would like my transmission work without the 1-2 grind and my steering to exhibit less vibration at normal highway speeds but I cannot find another automobile, under $60K, that equals the completeness of the TT.

Regards,

John J. Szobocsan

Old 10-22-1999, 10:13 AM
Andy W

Default One last piece of sarcasm. Audi has an option to disable the brakes when detecting lateral G force!

Right up your street I think.
Old 10-22-1999, 10:13 AM
Brad Willis

Default Close to a spin...

I passed two slower moving cars on a sharp bend to the right. As I steered sharply to the right to move in front of the first car (the road was changing from two lanes to one), I felt the back start to come around. It was very sudden and scary. I tried to quickly control my fear and think rationally. I cranked the wheel hard to the left and punched the accellerator. It wobbled a bit, then straightened out just fine. I think that 90% of your average drivers would have lost control under those circumstance. A close call, but it turned out okay.
Old 10-22-1999, 10:14 AM
Andy W

A rational viewpoint, thanks John. (nt)
Old 10-22-1999, 10:19 AM
Andy W

Default Re: Close to a spin...

This is my point, everybody is buying this car because it is an Audi. Audi's are predictible to the letter T in both handling and reliability.

The TT is different, it is going to catch a lot of people by suprise, even those individuals who think they can drive it, just like they did with their M3 they have just sold.

Old 10-22-1999, 10:36 AM
Cliff Melick

Default Re: Spin...

Andy: Have you driven any older 911s? If so, do you think the TTq gives more or less or about the same amount of warning before the rear end breaks loose? While I admit that you have a point about making an emergency stop, personally, I try not to push the car too hard on a public highway, since I don't relish the idea of being responsible for injury to someone other than myself. That aside, there could still be times when an emergency stop is required; I am not oblivious to your point--I think it is well-taken. But my initial question remains. Can you compare the older 911 to the TTq in this regard? Thanks.
Old 10-22-1999, 10:44 AM
Koo

Default Sh**! After reading all this (both sides) for almost a month now, I have one thing to say...

I'm getting pretty damn scared. And it pisses me off. I've always loved driving-never been a "timid" or unskilled driver. Nevertheless, I didn't think I'd need to think about attending a driving school at my age just to handle this car, either. Unfortunately, no matter what happens now with modifications or whatever, there remains a level of uncertainty or even fear--lack of confidence?? that just was never an issue with other cars before. This was supposed to be my car to have some fun with, not worry about. So go ahead and call me a whiner, been called worse.
Old 10-22-1999, 10:49 AM
Geza

Default Glad you were able to get out of that situation, but...

"cranking the wheel hard" and "punching the accelerator" are generally not the recommended evasive action. Smoooooth inputs are the key to controlling a wayward car. You should try a Qclub driver education event (if you haven't already) and experiment with the TT handling in a controlled environment. Based on some of your posts I've read, I figure you'd be hooked for life.

Regards,
Geza
99.5 Avant 2.8qMS
97 Boxster
Old 10-22-1999, 11:10 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Glad you were able to get out of that situation, but...

While I haven't attended the Quattro Club driving school, I have had professional high-speed emergency driving training as a police officer, and I've been involved in numerous high-speed and hairy pursuits through So Cal traffic. While we could all benefit fron increased training, it's not like I haven't had a lot of experience and training. And the bottom line is that my tactics worked, as most would have lost control (in my view).

Quick Reply: OK, WHO HAS SPUN OUR CRASHED --- I would like to know MORE