TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Okay friends, since the wheels have started turning, I thought I should let you all know (long...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would say that you will eventually have an in-dash CD player!

They will have to give you a new car (and perhaps even some cash) to make up for this. VIN's are very handy when it comes to things like this. If you had been in an accident it would be easy for them to find out since a whole body repaint (sounds like this is what your car had done at some point) would normally involve insurance and therefore VIN would be traced...any way you slice it something is very wrong with this picture and they will have to give you another car. Get as much of this stuff documented as you can (dates, names - especially of those who saw the paint and heard the sound) and keep a record.

I hope this works out for you. I have a feeling it will. Good luck :-)
Old 12-18-2001, 07:46 AM
Elder Member

Default Two words: Dealer demo. How many 2/99 build date cars are here on this forum?

JimTT? Denny and I are 5/99. They had just cut over to North American production in 2/99 at Gyor.

How many miles were on your car when you bought it? The most likely scenario is that it was the first TT they had at the dealership and someone wrecked it. Can you imagine how hard parts were to come by in the summer of 1999? Hard. And Audi was having parts distribution problems due to the growth spurt back then anyway. They hid the car at the body shop until all the parts came in.

My car was a dealer demo. I was told it wasn't, but since then I know the important people at the dealership and the tell me it was. The first TT delivered to Jax, actually. It had 227 miles on it upon delivery on June 28th 1999. When Audi creates a new line they send a car to each dealership with special leasing attached to it as a demo. My dealer took advantage of demand and sold it after a few weeks. To me.

Gina, I am so sorry you are getting shafted like this. You seem like a nice person across the internet. Keep your chin up.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's nice in person too. :-)
Old 12-18-2001, 07:55 AM
Elder Member

Default That's what I wrote to Gina. It never made sense to me that my 4/99 build

was received by me on 6/22/99 and her 2/99 build was received by her in 2000. Something very wrong about this....that's where she has them nailed.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:56 AM

This reminds me of Bob Vogt. Had the same thing happen to him here.
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Gina - very sad story...

Try to do your own research. Look at the new Consumer Reports for places that track your VIN number. Later tonight I'll email you the California Lemon Law site URL.

Hang in there. Maybe AoA will come through for you.
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default There was a period in 1999 where a number of TTs were badly vandalized...

I believe they were on a parked train when this occurred. My understanding is that Audi repaired/repainted them and sold them as new. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if your car was one of those.

I think they owe you a new car.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:57 AM

Default Wow, what a drag, Gina. I hope that the right people are on top of this...

so it doesn't get even more covered up then it already has. I think you deserve a new TT, and personally I'd demand such once you have seen all the info.

Best of luck. :-)
Old 12-18-2001, 07:59 AM

Default Gina, a (hopefully) obvious thing for the dealer to check is the upper strut bearings....

Mine were destroyed by my "buddies" over at WheelWorks when they incorrectly installed my Bilsteins. It produced a clunking in the front end - mine happened when it was cold and backed out of my parking stall (offcamber, nose pointing down). It could be easily overlooked as the bearing surface is only visible if the whole upper strut assembly is disassembled.

I do not want to even take a stab at the paint issue.....
Old 12-18-2001, 08:08 AM
Elder Member

I have a 1/99 build date.

Quick Reply: Okay friends, since the wheels have started turning, I thought I should let you all know (long...)