TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Optimal Autocross/Track Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by High PSI
My friend and I aligned the car ourselves last week. We did (or attempted to do) exactly what you did - maxed out the front camber (to whatever we could get - didn't measure), set the front toe to as close to zero as we could get while erring to toe out for better turn-in(ended up with about 1/32" out).

The rear toe, however, we couldn't touch - we loosened the alignment bolts on the trailing arms and pulled as hard as we could, and the arms wouldn't move. It looks like we'll need the special VAG tool to do the alignment (or just got to a VW/Audi dealership).

However, are you saying you got TOE OUT in the rear?? From everything I've read, toe out can't be accomplished - the "best" you can get is a little toe-in.

We didn't want to mess with rear camber seeing as we had no way to measure it, but the Bentley manual shows it as being adjustable, though everything I've read online again says that you can't do much with it.

Where did you have your alignment done - at a local shop or at the dealership?
High PSI,

I went to a local shop called tire warehouse. they do good work.

Assuming the rig reported accurately, Yes, I managed .4 degrees toe out in the rear. I am aware some alignment rigs report toe in as a positive, but his readout showed a visual display as well. watching the technicians prying, and he had to pry quite liberally to get anything, I could see we were going in the right direction.

Perhaps the rig is not calibrated or not set up right, I have no idea. But at least I know I have a relative increase in a movement towards toe out if I'm not there now.

My Bentley specifies +7.5' toe per wheel in the back. I'm not sure what the apostrophe represents, as it is definitely not degrees or any other unit of measure I associate with an alignment. But it probably means something to everyone else.

If you don't like over inflating the rears to induce oversteer, you could under inflate them, Ive been told it makes the breakaway point a little smoother and predictable. But you probably know that already.

let me know if you figure out that rear camber adjustment.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucc8659
High PSI,
My Bentley specifies +7.5' toe per wheel in the back. I'm not sure what the apostrophe represents, as it is definitely not degrees or any other unit of measure I associate with an alignment. But it probably means something to everyone else..
That would mean minutes