TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

orange peel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-1999, 10:10 AM
ron

Default orange peel

How is the orange peel problem on the TT paint job? Specifically how is it for the black clearcoat and does anyone have any experience with color sanding these out on the TT?<p>
Old 08-01-1999, 11:31 AM
?

Default Re: orange peel

Huh?<br>What orange peel? Did you have your vehicle repainted in Mexico?
Old 08-01-1999, 12:55 PM
Steve M

My black TT has slight orange peel, but you have to look hard to see it. I've had many Ferraris with much worse orange peel.
Old 08-01-1999, 05:15 PM
jacqth

Default Re: orange peel .

I noticed a little bit today when I was waxing the car. I wonder what is the cause of it. Too much waxing perhaps ?
Old 08-01-1999, 05:19 PM
Bob Fogt

And I thought I was the only one!!! Three days after I took delivery on my black TT, I noticed a band of ornage peel that runs across the roof, left to right, about midway back. It is VERY hard to see except in certain reflected light (took me three days of gazing at the car before Inoticed it), but it's definitely there. The dealer was as surprised and dismayed as I was to discover this. They will take it to Sears Imports, who they tell me has the finest paint facility in the state, to have the top panel repainted. It should be pretty straightforward, as there are no blend areas to deal with, just a four-sided panel. They've guaranteed my complete satisfaction, and even offered to bring a loaner to me and to shuttle my car back and forth for me so I'm not inconvenienced in any way. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Carousel is totally bent on satisfying their customers. I'll let you know how it turns out. <p>Love the car!<p>Bob Fogt
Old 08-01-1999, 06:05 PM
PeterK

Default No orange peel - smooth as a baby's behind

Absolutely none on my Silver TT. Very impressed with the smoothness of the finish; seems to chip easy though, may be that the water based paints are not as flexible to stones, or it just may be that there are a lot of stones kicking up?