TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: anyone here familiar with biometrics? specifically fingerprint minutiae identification?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: anyone here familiar with biometrics? specifically fingerprint minutiae identification?

like I said - OT
Old 11-01-2001, 06:51 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think it is a great area to invest in...

Along with companies that make bomb sniffing devices, retna security scanners, and envelopes made of less pourous materials with clear plastic windows (so you can see the poison).

Bayer is also a great investment, as they make the antibiotic Cipro. I'd also look to invest in companies that make bullets that don't penetrate aircraft hulls.

Of course, I'm joking about the aforementioned, but this is how many people look at "investing".
Old 11-01-2001, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was halfway through writing a response to this message...

...wondering why you were contradicting what you said a couple of days ago about not investing in companies that deal with products directly related current events...Then I saw your last sentence.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:01 AM

well - I mean algorithm wise (skeletonization, morphology, thinning type stuff)
Old 11-01-2001, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brad, could not agree with you more

The war we are now fighting will kick off a technology boom that will make the late 1990's seem trival. We will fight our war through technology and we will restore our national security, in addition to the rest of the industrialized world, through its use. The American people have the resolve, the intelligence, and the resources to eliminate the threat of totalitarian regimes around the world and provide the world with a more secure future.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:15 AM

Default Re: I was halfway through writing a response to this message...

If it's a quality company who may play a greater role in a situation such as this, it might be okay. For example, Kimberly Clark (KMB) is a leading maker of toliet paper, Kleenex, paper towels, diapers, etc. They are also the U.S.A.'s largest manufacturer of disposable latex rubber gloves and other disposable medical products, having bought out Safeskin and Ballard Medical awhile back.

So it's a quality company, selling near a 12 month low, with rising earnings and rising dividends for the past 5 years, making a product that is rescession resistant (try making due without T.P.), but they also make disposable gloves. The gloves are "Tobasco", as I call it. You buy the company for the fundamentals, but there's also a bit of sizzle to an otherwise sound, but perhaps somewhat dull, story.

Chances are that KMB will be around many years after a lot of these story stocks are defunct.

Disclaimer: The preceeding was not a solicitation or recommendation to purchase Kimberly Clark or any other security. It was examined for educational and illustrative purposes only.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:36 AM
Elder Member

Default Thought the other day you advised exactly the opposite. Do not invest

in current issue or news related stocks???
Old 11-01-2001, 07:38 AM

Read my post a second time, and also read my response to Gnowknayme at the bottom of the thread.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:40 AM
Elder Member

Default Was referring to this quote of yours:

"Avoid "story stocks" (bomb/anthrax detection, pupil scanning security devices, etc)."
Old 11-01-2001, 07:42 AM
Elder Member

Default I worked on a project with fingerprint and retina ID when the technology was very new about

5 years ago.

What do you want to know? I mean now that I feel good about my broker's decision to buy Kimberly Clark for me! LOL!

Quick Reply: OT: anyone here familiar with biometrics? specifically fingerprint minutiae identification?