TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: Knee surgery Thursday...anyone have this done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Knee surgery Thursday...anyone have this done?

Just call me "wimp" but I exercise to keep weight down and healthy and wind up with a knee injury requiring surgery. At least it is the arthoscopic type. Just terrified, that's all.
Worst part is that this will probably be the case with the other knee once the one is done.
BTW, driving the TT has not been too enjoyable with the knee thing so I guess I have to "bite the bullet" if I want to enjoy the car.
Yeah, yeah, I AM a wimp! ;-)
Old 05-22-2001, 04:19 PM
Elder Member

Default Nothing wimpy about you...all surgical procedures are deserving of some angst

Is this from running?
Old 05-22-2001, 04:22 PM

Default Recovery time depends on what they do. They do some pretty major stuff via arthroscopy these days.

If it's a torn meniscus (sp?), you'll probably be back to better than before very quickly. I've found the key is to keep it mobile from right after surgery. (Had two done myself.) If it's ligament damage that'll be longer for recovery but worth it in the long run. Hope all goes well. Hang in there. Just keep thinking about how good it will feel when it's over.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:41 PM

Default What exactly is your injury???? I'm a PT specializing in

outpatient orthopedics. See this stuff everydsy in my offices. Be happy to help you with any questions. Doug
Old 05-22-2001, 04:51 PM

Power walking...if I ran, we'd have an earthquate registered!
Old 05-22-2001, 04:53 PM
Elder Member

Big fella huh?
Old 05-22-2001, 04:53 PM

Default Meniscus tear, but they have some other issues from MRI...oh, well

I'll just remember nice things. What really concerns me is the importance of mobility. Hope this doc doesn't screw it up.
Old 05-22-2001, 05:08 PM

Default Other issues like what??? If only meniscus tear..(long)

Don't be afraid to move right after sx. Try to stay off it and ice 15 minutes every hour for the first 2 days. work on flexion (bending) while on the floor or couch. Don't prop up underneath the knee. feels good but get it STRAIGHT right away. After the 2 days, go ahead and walk around. Nothing to injure just may get sore and swell. Early mobility is the key and preventing swelling will make your recovery that much speedier. If there are some other ISSUES that they are taking care of, I need to know b/c your post-operative Rx will greatly depend on it. Doug
Old 05-22-2001, 05:09 PM
Elder Member

Default I so know how you fell. I think I recall from past conversations that you and I

are about the same size. Last year I decided to walk to get in better shape. Lasted about 3 weeks, ended with tendinitis around my knee and "water on the knee." Recovery time was non-surgical but took about 3 months.

I am sorry your injuries went so far as to require surgery. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2001, 05:46 PM

Default Arthroscopy will be fine. It's an outpatient procedure that usually takes about an hour to an hour

and a half. Depending on your injury and what your othropod will find inside, the surgery will consist of a lens scope that will allow your surgeon to see what he/she is doing inside your knee. Then they will be "shaving" away the torn meniscal cartilage. Afterwards, you will have bandages and a walking brace, as well as crutches.

I'm sure you will do fine. Depending on the type of person you are, you might even be able to watch what your surgeons do on the TV monitor! : )

Quick Reply: OT: Knee surgery Thursday...anyone have this done?