TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: Purchased a new TV! Does anyone own this TV? Toshiba 57H81 57" HDTV ready Projection TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does is show up from every source (dvd, cable, vcr)????
Old 08-20-2001, 12:45 PM
Elder Member

Yes.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:42 PM

Default sweet TV - I'm trying to find someone to buy my 53" 4:3 sony so I can go HDTV for XBOX

yep - I'll probably drop 3 grand on a TV to play 50 dollar games on a 300 dollar console
Old 08-20-2001, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would also agree, Mits has been behind for a while; not was they use to be

you don't see any Mits winning any reviews, especially the HDTV ones

Zenith, Pioneer, Toshiba, and a few Sonys take the creme at the top
Old 08-20-2001, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

this is excellent advice if the set is going to be next to a window, the glare will kill the picture
Old 08-20-2001, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default maybe I can help some...

sometimes light arching is due to internal reflections inside the cabinet. Although the interior is usually black, some light may reflect back into the guns, or back on the screen.
Solution: some build 'lens hoods' which help shield the guns from bouncing light; others line the inside of the tv with Duvetyne (a light absorbing cloth)

the screens, there are 3 of them pressed together, may be sagging causing the arch - it could also be dirt

I would scavenge the web for a users group to see if you can find someone who owns the service manual (a repair manual for your tv that anyone can buy, sort of like a Chiltons) You could then surf into the 'service menu' and play around a little.

I would check for dirty power also. unplug everything on the same circuit, and just run the tv to see if that is the problem. try some cable swaps

Being scared about the Circuit City people is warranted, although they have just recently went through a restructuring in which they got rid of most of the instore service [happened when they stopped selling appliances], most of it is outsourced now, I got to pick who I wanted to service my set last time. You may want to check on this.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default HDTV warning for those of your thinking about purchasing - they may become obsolete

I could go on forever into technical jargon, but basically the major manufacturers along with the movie studios have just announced new encryption standards that will make all current HDTVs obselete in the immediate future. Many consumer groups are 'pissed' about this so it may not fly, but it looks as though it will and the studios have said they will refuse to release material unless it can be encrypted. What is scary, is the new technology has the power to actually remove the signal, or display no picture, on all non-compliant sets (current HDTVs),

The main problem is that current sets can't be retrofitted, nor can you buy add on equipment. The HDTV must have the 5C encryption, probably delievered through FireWire (IEEE) or DVI interfaces which currents HDTV do not have. Part of this new encryption spec does allow for decoder boxes to be sold for older tvs, but it down converts the digitial signal to low resolution, primarily for use to people who don't buy HDTVs and use older equipment.

here is a good primer thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015447.html<ul><li><a href="http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015447.html">http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015447.html</a</li></ul>
Old 08-20-2001, 06:33 PM
Elder Member

Default Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it is the outsourced service people that I am ascared of...

they are a company called Jax Telefix and I have heard horror stories. Along the lines of "They've been servicing TV's since 1947 and stopped learning new stuff sometime around 1968."

I really don't think it's a power issue. It's a reflective arc, and it's dimmer as you get out from the centerline. Reflected light does however make sense. I'll try shutting off the lights in the room at night and see if it goes away or reduces.

I have heard of the Duvetyne method (I'm a semi-regular at Hometheaterforum.com)

It certainly could be a dusty mirror. The TV is over 2.5 years old. Gotta think long and hard about the Jax Telefix people, since they're free under my service plan but...

What if I wanted to open the TV and clean the mirror and lenses? Can you recommend a safe method. I know Windex and crumpled up newsprint can't be the right way!

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2001, 09:25 PM

Default From my understanding, is if and I sai IF they are able to pull this off...

It will mostly downconvert Pay-Per-View movies.

That does not make a TV obsolete.i thing that drum is being banged louder then need be to get the masses behind the consumer. I agree that the studios should not be able to say what and how we can watch, but don't agree that tv will be obsolete in the near future. Technology alone will take care of that in due time
Old 08-21-2001, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default surprising at it may seem...

poking around the inside of the tv really isn't all that dramatic, you just need to get your feet wet. it's pretty hard to damage the lenses, unless you are just plain careless. also, by looking into the lenses directly (wear sunglasses) you can see if the arc is being generated by the tv, or if it is an after affect

compressed air works pretty well, mild soap, like heavily diluted dish soap will work on tougher spots, but it is unlikely you would have such; it is not so much the rag you have to worry about, but the cleaner you use because most lenses have coatings on them that can be stripped by some cleaners, its better to go chemical free

dimming the room lights probably won't help your reflection problems as the reflected light is usually generated internally, the screen is set up so not much like gets through from the outside (the surface is mostly opaque which allows the projected image to be shown)

have you tried asking the CC people for a different outsourcer? I would try giving them a different area as your home location to get someone else

Quick Reply: OT: Purchased a new TV! Does anyone own this TV? Toshiba 57H81 57" HDTV ready Projection TV