TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: Purchased a new TV! Does anyone own this TV? Toshiba 57H81 57" HDTV ready Projection TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unfortunately, it is a little broader than that

please, don't get me wrong; i'm truly not trying to be an alarmist, and I realize that technology comes a goes, new things are inevitable.

all future devices will have the new encrypted outputs (some will have older analog outs, downcoverted or shut off at will) The scope is not just pay-per-view. Every HD-DVD player demoed this year had an encrypted output only, no analog (studios will not releaes movies, unless this is spec, or they will shut of the analog outs). All cable and satelite boxes will also have the digital outs. Future PVR (Tivo) will also be digital encryption based

sure, analog outs will still display an image on most material, but downconverted back to where we started 480i; buying an HDTV to display current signals is scary to me

the drum is being banged so loudly because current HDTVs are being left out of the loop; the proposed solution to include them is to give them either an analog signal 480i, or no signal at all
with not possible upgrage path

and you are correct, maybe our terminology is a little of of sinc when talking obsolete. I'm thinking the sets become obsolete because they are no longer able to serve the intended purpose, or replaced by another means. Sure, you could argue that Beta VCRs are not obsolete because they still play and record movies, but their intended scope of purpose included playing rented and purchased movies which just aren't available.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:40 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks again. Maybe I'll get in there sometime soon.

I do know there is only one company in N. Florida doing TV service for Circuit ****y. My bad.

These have been really burning questions and I am somewhat relieved (not relieved like getting a large facial growth removed relieved) and now can tell Mrs. O what the arc of light is so that she can tell me that I made it up.