TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: For the skiing experts....I am a NON winter sports person who has been given the option to

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: For the skiing experts....I am a NON winter sports person who has been given the option to

participate in one of the following activities: skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling.....

I have decided againt snowmobiling (because I just did that in Iceland)...so, would like to know...which (skiing or snowboarding) is easier for a beginner....

Keep in mind...I hate the COLD with a passion!!!!
Maybe I should just hang out in the lodge...??

But then again, an opportunity to ski in Denver...seems like something I should at least try...

Thanks for the input...

OH...do i need to go BUY special clothing..or do they rent that too..
Old 01-21-2002, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Snowboard...

It bangs you up, but it's fun...It's been in my blood ever since I was the only one on the mt. with a snowboard...I will never ski again. :-)
*no offense skiiers, of course. ;-)*
Old 01-21-2002, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my opinion..

Seems like both can be fairly fustrating for the true beginner to learn. If you where going out for a week I'd say snowboarding because people seem to get the basics down a bit quicker than skiing. But, that being said if you try snowboarding, plan on being on your a$$ most of the first day.

On the other hand, you can get through you first day skiing with the basic snow plow without too much hassle if you don't get to aggressive. So, if it's just a one day thing I would ski.

So, have you done either before? And, how many days are you going to be there?
Old 01-21-2002, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

regardless, sign up for a beginner's class. Your butt will thank you.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:48 AM

Default The lodge is sounding better....lol.....Never tried snowboarding...Havent tried skiing in almost 20

years...So absolute beginner in both categories would be me....However, I do have above average athletic ability....

Trip is only a weekend thing...so your point about probably enjoying skiing more is well taken...

They are also offering a day in the village...but that seems like a wimpy thing to do...I like the idea of going up on the mountain...even if I have to come down on my ***!...lol
Old 01-21-2002, 06:50 AM
Elder Member

Default I would go w/ traditional skiing.....

but that may be b/c I learned easily and didn't attempt snowboarding until much, much later.

s for clothing, you will need a reasonable set of waterproof ski pants and a similar jacket. No need to buy the high fashion or competition level stuff but you will be very uncomfortable with non-ski wear. Layering is very important - just make sure you have plenty of room to have full range of motion.

Most places don't rent clothing so plan on picking that up before you go. You will also need a good set of goggles (some places do rent those). All of the other EQ can be rented in a package.

Don't sit it out in the lodge. There will be plenty of time for that at the end of the day!
Old 01-21-2002, 06:56 AM
Elder Member

Default my vote would be for cross country skiing... i love it. too bad its not one of the choices!

don't let anyone tell you its too much work, its fabulous!!!
Old 01-21-2002, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Most resorts have..............................>>

Excellent beginner packages. Sign up and they outfit you and take you from knowing nothing, to snowplowing down the bunny slope. I believe you can go for various packages that will range from a few hours to multiple days. Try the beginners ski thing. If it doesn't work out, you're back in the lodge by noon, sitting by the fire sipping a fine Merlot......
Old 01-21-2002, 07:02 AM

Default I see on the form that they rent cross country skiis.....??? Maybe I will make a phone call to see

if it is possible.....

I've heard you exert a lot of energy but that it is a tremendous amount of fun...
Old 01-21-2002, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I vote for the hot tub and the bar

Quick Reply: OT: For the skiing experts....I am a NON winter sports person who has been given the option to