TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: For those who leave their computers at home/work idling for a long period of time..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: For those who leave their computers at home/work idling for a long period of time..

Please consider signing up for United Devices. <A href="http://www.ud.com" target="_top">(www.ud.com)</a>

This is <b>NOT</b> some kind of spam.

So what is it? I'll make it short. It's basically a program which runs in the background of your computer, making calculations for a formula which has the <b>possibility</b> of finding a cure for cancer!

This is how it works.. click <A href="http://members.ud.com/membership/howitworks/" target="_top">here</a>

Just click <A href="http://members.ud.com/download/" target="_top">here</a> to download the small program.

I have started an "Audiworld Member team" - its just a 'team' we can setup and see how much we have contributed all together. There are prizes to be won, but thats just a bonus

Please feel free by joining the team by clicking right <A href="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=22767A01-4C72-4949-B9AC-A1742EF3DD61" target="_top">here</a>

I have just discovered this program myself, I believe some of us should be interested in this as well. I personally know people with cancer, and know its a horrible disease. Does this calculation stuff actually work? I honestly don't know, but since I leave my computer idling most of the day, might as well contribute to this program.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:44 AM
Elder Member

Default Give me time to independently verify the viablity and NON-PROFIT status

of United Devices and I'll gladly replace my SETI program.

I just don't want to give my free computing resources to a company that is private and for-profit.

Thanks for letting me know about this.
Old 04-11-2001, 05:36 AM

Default Please post what you find out (more)

I've been running this for a month or so, and before that ran SETI as well.
However some guys at the office were talking about this app yesterday and their first reaction was that it was probably just a spyware app (they get you to run it, then it sends them marketing info about your computer, etc.). I'd love to not only convince my friends otherwise, but also be confident that this really is a noble cause.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:15 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, why am I somehow skeptical?
Old 04-11-2001, 06:16 AM
Elder Member

Default Spyware? you mean like that link to the ringtones for the Nokia phones?!?!

I entered my phone number to get some ringtones on my AT&T 8260 and never got them.

Now this web site has my cell phone number. I tell ya, if I were trying to get cell phone numbers for questionable use, I would set up a site just like that!

Did that work for anyone?
Old 04-11-2001, 11:33 AM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Re: Sorry.. my 3 PC's at home are looking for aliens.