TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Paint defect

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2000, 06:57 PM
D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint defect

I have a black TT roadster.

After cleaning it for the first time, I noticed what appeared to be dust in the clear coat. Audi sent out an inspector who told me it was "solvent boil" or "solvent pop" (ie small bubbles in the paint formed by the solvent in the paint drying to quickly).

Audi have told me that the "defect" is within industry quality standards and are refusing to do anything. I find it a bit hard to accept that what looks like a fine coating of dust across the entire bonnet could possibly be within industry standards.

Has anyone else discoverd this type of fault?
Old 11-27-2000, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default interesting, I had a paint defect and....

I showed it too the local dealer at 5k service. They obviously didn't think it was acceptable and I didn't even have to moan that much about it. It looked like tiny white air bubbles under the paint, it was smooth to the touch.

[my dealer service has been horrible, so I should have known better]

When I picked up the car, the service manager walked out with me, which sort of scared me. Apparently one of the techs tried to buff out the bubbles and buffed off the paint as well! So now instead of tiny white air bubbles I have what looks like cigarette burns. They offered to repaint.

I would suggest trying another dealer; it seems like the dealer holds a lot of the decision power and another one may fix it for you.
Old 11-27-2000, 03:28 PM
D

Default The problem is over the entire vehicle.....

the bonnet is just where it is most visible. To fix the problem, the entire car would need to be rubbed back and resprayed - something I would not consider doing (even if Audi were prepared to foot the bill).

It is a factory problem and unlikely to be limited to my car alone. It is due to things like incorrect solvent mixes, oven settings and inadequate drying times between coats. It is also unlikely to be limited to my car alone.