TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint question

I just had my rear bumper repaired for numerous license plate bolt marks (from my own neighbor's jeep... but that's a different story), but I've noticed that the paint job is scary looking. It was a "housecall" job performed by DentPro, which did a fine job on my door dings, but I'm wondering:

- why is the finish very rough and sandy feeling?
- why are there horizontal lines of paint "dripping"?
- is rough feeling overspray correctable?

He said that he'll return on monday to make it look good after the paint dried, but are these things repairable? He noted that my garage was very dusty. Will he be buffing it down and is this all in a thick clearcoat that can be polished? It really looks opaque and I'm kind of regretting this.

I'm also thinking of the last time I sold a car (which was a used car when I bought it). The buyer knew right away that paint work was performed by feeling for overspray on the inside of the trunk lid. He assumed it was a rear end accident. Will I get this AGAIN if I sell?

TT Tom
Old 01-07-2001, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All of these problems you talk about can be fixed......but

it depends on the severity of the dust, fish eyes or drip marks that need to be fixed.

My TT had a scratch on it when I bought it (used) and the dealer promised to fix it, well they send one of the mobile guys out to fix itand he didn't do such a good job, so now the body shop is getting rid of the runs, fisheye and dust.

I didn't want to take the car back to get the paint fixed because they already f*cked it up once so I tried to get all the imperfections out by wetsanding it.
I did a great job (if I do say so myself) but unfortunately the more I started to get the clear coat smooth and such, I started to realize that the paint that the mobile guy used was a shade off..... Oh well, back to the drawing board
Old 01-07-2001, 08:44 AM

Default had same problem myself, except it was the entire car.

after he applied the clearcoat, assuming he has done that at all, he probably didn't wetsand it. Once that is done it will shine like new, or should. Honestly you should have taken it somewhere if you had to have the entire bumper repainted. Small dents are one thing, repainting a bumper is somethign else. Something I would not want done in my dusty garage. But anyway, wetsanding the clearcoat should fix it up.
Old 01-07-2001, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thanks. btw, what's a fisheye? I'm also wondering if a claybar

can take out that overspray in the nooks of surrounding body parts. I believe he's wetsanding it tomorrow, but it feels so incredibly gritty, I wonder if it'll work.

TT Tom