TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

To pay MSRP or not to pay...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2000, 11:10 AM
Ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To pay MSRP or not to pay...

I'm going to purchase an Audi TT (225hp) in Utah but there are only two Audi dealerships and neither dealership is willing to negotiate on price! I'm willing to go out of state to purchase / order and I was wondering if anyone has negotiated on price and if so how much. Any input would be greatly appreciate!!! Thanks...
Old 11-26-2000, 11:29 AM
Elder Member

I'm guessing your real question is whether to buy or not to buy...not a lot of negotiating room
Old 11-26-2000, 12:00 PM

Default Good luck. In my area (NC) we are at MSRP. Sounds like out west isn't quite as lucky...

I guess it will depend on how willing you are to purchase from out of the local region.
Old 11-26-2000, 01:03 PM

Default Look at it this way...

You are spending $42,000 on a car...an impractical but beautiful car. Are you going to buy one out of state--with all the associated hassles--to save the few hundred dollars someone else somewhere claims s/he got? How will that money make a difference in your bottom line? If it will, go for it. But remember, most of us were pleased with the list price. And some of us have businesses of our own, where the expectation that the customer always gets to squeeze the merchant can get a little old.
Old 11-26-2000, 01:12 PM

Default Very good points...

I went outside the local area because I was suffering from a lack of availability and I didn't think my local dealer was giving me the pre-sales support I was expecting I should get.

With this beautiful, impractical car, MSRP is about the best you will do (generalization).
Old 11-26-2000, 01:13 PM

Default Re: To pay MSRP or not to pay...

About negotiating for the TT, I've done it twice now because the first time fell through because I wanted to bring the car over the border (that's another story). The first time, I did negotiate with a dealer and managed to get about $500 off and which also included the paint and leather protection package (approx. $400 value). This dealer was in Canada and if it weren't for the fact that I was bringing the car to the States, I would have had it by now. This second time around, I'm purchasing the car here in California and they were selling for $5000 over MSRP, but I managed to talk them down to only MSRP. I think it just depends on the demand where you're in and whether you're willing to be hard line with time. You have to be firm with them and tell them exactly what you want. You may have to even "pretend" that you don't want the car at their dealership and say you'll go somewhere else (i.e. out of state). I dunno, I hope this has help you some. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 11-26-2000, 02:10 PM

Agree with everything you said...except the "impractical" part :P
Old 11-26-2000, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with JonTT
Old 11-26-2000, 02:39 PM
Elder Member

I paid MSRP in NJ and am very pleased w/ that.
Old 11-26-2000, 02:49 PM

Default Haven't heard of any less than MSRP but . . .

if you are interested in a roadster you may be able to get something knocked off for the "manual top" mistake (roadster with premium package should come with automatic top, many didn't).

Quick Reply: To pay MSRP or not to pay...