TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Phone kit question/story - long but worth it

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phone kit question/story - long but worth it

Hi Folks,

I wonder if someone here is an expert who can help me.

Shortly after I got my 2002 TT Roadster I decided I should install a phone kit for my saftey. As I find the V60 phones terrible, and I wanted a GSM phone, I choose to get the Nokia Kit from Audi as shown on Audi USA site.

The Kit consists of, 1) Molded Cellular Phone Holder $133.30 2)Hands Free Nokia Phone Installation Kit $295 3)Hands-free Speaker $80 4)Universal Rear Bumper Mount Antenna $229.77. Installation cost $350 for a Total of $1084.76. I figued I got a good product by Audi and a professional installation.

One of my complaints on this kit is that it is selective. Is only accepts legacy Nokia phones 61xx, 51xx, 71xx, and 6210. The 6210 is actually new, but it will not work in the US as it is only offered in the European band. However, a similar kit from Nokia that fit these phones also supports newer phones. I do not understand why this kit is so selective. As such, I had a limited selection of phones to choose from. I got the 6360 which physically fit perfectly in the cradle, however it did not work. Nor did the excellent 6310i phone. I finally selected the Nokia 6190 since it is a GSM phone. It works fine despite being quite old, yet still its functionality is not bad. However, there are MUCH better newer phones out there with better features and clarity. It is also difficult to find someone who can service this phone.

Another complaint I have is that the Kit has its own speaker, i.e, it does not use the car's speakers. But it is not a big deal as it still mutes the radio/cd player/changer when I place a call or one comes in.

One problem I had with the kit is that when I place the phone in it, the signal drops! You'd expect the signal to get better. I though it was the phone, but after trying many compatible phones, 6160, 6160i, 71xx, I was sure it is the antenna. I complained to my dealer about this. First, they tried replacing the antenna and the kit, which did not work. Then they tried ordering a new kit form Audi and from Nokia, neither of the companies responded so far.

Today I got offered a refund, which I will happily if I can find a better alternative.
I figure with $1000, I can get a new phone, phone kit and pay for a professional installation.

So then, my question is: what are my options?

Searching this board only yielded this:
http://home.comcast.net/~jeisenlohr/index.htm

I am trying to contact the author.

But I am sure there are other options. I have a feeling the incomprable Jeff Bipes will shime in with some wisdom.

The ideal solution will be an inexpensive, simple, elegant GSM kit. Bluetood is a big plus.

regards
Old 09-25-2003, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is my setup... SE T610 with Bluetooth Jaba headset...

I have 2 (blury pic of the install I have in my car).
Bascially I setup the T610 (which is GSM) with the Jabra headset over bluetooth. When a call comes in, I just slip the headset over my ear and press the button on the back. Presto I am talking in 1 second. I got the knee rest holder from a guy doing a fiberglass mold a while back, but I think Audi makes a similar one. They are wrapped in leather, check out clairparts.com I think they sold them. I then bought a car holder from Sony Ericsson for $15.00 and screwed it into the knee rest holder. I have the headset holder stuck to the outside of the knee rest holder using double sided tape. It slides right in without any problems. The only problem I have with the unit is that There is a hole in the bottom of the car holder- that is where I put the charger power cord though. It sucks, cause most of the car holders already have the base pins installed, and you plug your changer into the base, then the phone drops into the base. That is not the case with this new one. I had a T68i which rocks, and that base had the pins already installed for charger and data cable.

Here is a link to my Fotki site...<ul><li><a href="http://public.fotki.com/hackths/sony_ericsson_t610/">T610 pics</a></li></ul>
Old 09-25-2003, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had a v60 kit from Verizon integrated into my car. I just recently

switched to a SE T616 w/ bluetooth and integrated it with the stereo. I don't even have to worry about taking the phone out of my pocket, because it doesn't even have to be "wired" to the car to have hands free operation. I change out cell phones evry 9 months or so...with bluetooth hands free kit from Sony-Ericsson installed, I can used it with any future cell phone that is bluetooth enabled. I personally would go back to your cell dealer &amp; get a bluetooth enabled phone.. then set up your car with bluetooth.

The Sony-Ericsson bluetooth kit was basicly pretty straight forward. And $199 from Ericsson, 250 from AT&amp;T. Parrot also makes a bluetooth kit (look for a review on mobileburn.com) I did the installation myself so .. I don't know how much a shop would charge.. but I would guess labor would be 4-5 hours top!!

P.S anyone want to buy a complete plug &amp; play v60 handsfree kit complete with DB25 cable to the trunk?