TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

:-( picked up my car from body shop :-( nothing changed :-( (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Wiz
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :-( picked up my car from body shop :-( nothing changed :-( (longish)

They called me yesterday and said that my stains have been taken care of (originally they gave me and my condo office an estimation for 9-something-hundred bucks for painting and condo was gonna pay for it. Picked up the car this morning (in very hard rain). The owner of the shop said that they didn't paint it (both rear quarter panels, right door and trunk hatch). Instead, they "applied right stuff" and removed the stains to preserve the factory paint and promised, that if I find anything they missed, I can bring the car back and they will remove what's left there.

It turned out to be the same stuff - edged clearcoat everywhere, so many spots all over the rear end.

The reason I ended up with that shop was that my condo works with them all the time and is willing to pay for the work as long as the price is reasonable (obviously the estimate from Champion Audi was way off). Now I'm gonna talk to my condo office again tomorrow morning and tell them that I need a new shop and that they should not pay for the first job 'cause it basically didn't do anything.

That brings me to the question: Gary, Paul, Bob, So Fla Mod squad... Could you please recomend a body shop you would trust? Gary, I can't find the guy's number you gave me.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:19 AM
Rest In Peace

Call European Auto 561-687-8088 speak w/ Scott or Frank; they were going to repair other TT
Old 06-26-2002, 08:26 AM

What exactly is wrong with the paint on your car?
Old 06-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Wiz
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some acid-ish stuff dripped on the clearcoat, "eating" its way through it to the paint
Old 06-26-2002, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You have mail!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:33 AM
Wiz
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Bob
Old 06-26-2002, 08:34 AM
Wiz
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Peter
Old 06-26-2002, 09:00 AM

Eugene, call Stuttgart Collision (305) 461 9995. They do very good work.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:16 AM
Wiz
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thank you Paul. I didn't really mean that your hair requires A1 :)

And that stuff you made on Cape Florida GTG was above and beyond Honestly

Speaking of paint, does the paint shop have an option of getting the OEM Audi paint (in my case it seems to be raven black with pearl effect) or it's kind of common paint they can get everywhere? Should I get the paint from the dealer and is there a way to know the exact code for the paint? I just hate the notion of having the rear end of the car looking differently than the front. Or, maybe, I should simply forget about that issue, it doesn't affect the GO part of the car, only LOOKS...

Maybe there's another way to approach it? Like buff the clearcoat off to "flatten" the affected areas, thus removing the edges (you saw them) and then reapply the polish/wax/coat/whatever? Why does it have to be that f*cking inconvenient?! (sorry about the rants, I guess I just had enough of it)
Old 06-26-2002, 09:34 AM

Default No offense taken. Considering I'm not follically-challenged, I really don't care what color it turns

besides, I've been told by many women that prematurely white guys look sexy.

As for the paint, all body shops match the paint according to codes supplied by the manufacturer. Nobody orders the paint per se.

You can buff out many things, but damage that extends underneath the layer of clearcoat usually need to be repainted.

Quick Reply: :-( picked up my car from body shop :-( nothing changed :-( (longish)