TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Picture of Peter Hommel's wrecked TT.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2000, 11:51 AM
Denny

The key is they are "offering" not "requiring" mods, spoiler and ESP...mitigates consumer complaints
Old 02-10-2000, 01:17 PM
Nancy D Chapman

Default Re: (@#$% enter key) Do people often go 120mph+ on back roads with snowtires?

Jenner
Yes, here in Germany, we do drive a lot of the time at 120mph on what you call back roads. We buy the tyres which are appropriate for the conditions. When we live in mixed conditions, we learn more about tyres than you want to dream about.
However, having read the posts to this forum, AOA is probably wasting money, they could ship the car with a 900cc engine and 4 inch wide tyres and still sell every one of them. Ehy do you guys worry about what happens at speeds you claim you never experience? Who is bull ****ting who?
Old 02-10-2000, 01:24 PM
UweTT

Default Tires not at limit

First of all there are snow tires available now in Europe with a limit of 240 kph

Secondly, if he only had "H" tires (210 kph) and was going at around 200 kph, this means he was way below the limit. H means you can go at 210 kph on a HOT summer day for hours - ususally there is a HUGE safety bolster, and you should be able to drive this at even 220 kph for a short period.

My point is - don't blame the tires!!!!
Old 02-10-2000, 01:35 PM
inspector clouseau

Re: his wheels. The pic was taken on a flatbed truck - that car wasto being towed anywhere
Old 02-10-2000, 01:55 PM
ben

"people are just plain STUPID! " and this comes from the guy who called me an elitist yesterday!
Old 02-10-2000, 02:41 PM
ben

I agree, the tires would have been ripped off the rims in this kind of crash!
Old 02-10-2000, 02:53 PM
Marius

I'm with you, Uwe. And don't "be dissing" snow tires, they give best performance in cold season.
Old 02-10-2000, 03:06 PM
L Mies

Default Re: Old (I think I read he was about 70?) I'm not trying to disrespect anyone ...

You seem to manage well enough without trying.
Old 02-10-2000, 03:09 PM
Marius

Otherwise he couldn't have gone that fast(!!!!!!!!).
Old 02-10-2000, 08:00 PM
ChuckH

Default you're forgetting something very important! (more)

The rating on the tire is for the speed at which the tire is safe in regards to heat build-up. Just because a snow tire is rated to not self destruct at 130 MPH does not mean that it has adequate cornering traction, much less the same amount as a summer tire, at 130 MPH in a corner.

Also, keep in mind that nobody is necessarily blaming the tires, but rather looking at them as a curiosity. Any intelligent person will know enough not to blame anything in particular until the facts come in. At this point everything is speculation.

I mean no disrespect, but Mr. Hommel may have had a heart attack, or maybe he bent down to pick something up off the floor, or maybe an animal ran out in front of thim, or....just imagine the possibilities. Maybe there was even another car involved that left the scene (like someone on the wrong side of the road causing him to have to swerve suddenly).

All things being considered, it is totally ignorant to expect a snow tire to handle as well as a summer tire, regardless of speed rating. That is why even though the tires may not be at fault, they could have contributed. A tire can contribute to an accident without blowing!

I still think that overall, the accident rate on the TT is low. This whole thing is being blown way out of proportion, IMO!

Charles

Quick Reply: Picture of Peter Hommel's wrecked TT.