TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Picture of Peter Hommel's wrecked TT.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2000, 10:32 PM
franck

Default This is not a traffic acident : a tree fell on the car during a storm that hit west Gremany

A big storm hit West Gremany and a part of France in December and many trees fell down on cars.
You can see that the back and the front of this car don't even have a scratch on the paint which is difficult to believe after such a shock.
Hommel's car must be another one
Old 02-10-2000, 10:36 PM
evan

look again, that car has obviously been folded around a tree at high speed.
Old 02-10-2000, 11:20 PM
franck

Default Re: you're forgetting something very important! (more)

I agree with this.
A car is not a playstation : it has its own limits
and in case of problem ... you're inside.
Anyway, even a formula one driver mustn't drive at such high speeds on such roads.
Other people can make mistakes, there can be animals around, etc...
It is possible to drive at 130mph for a short time on highways when you're alone. I've already done 155 mph a couple of seconds with my A8, it's not a problem. But I'didn't try to take sharp curves at that speed.
Again, not a playstation...
TT is more fun to drive on mountain roads where even if you're pushing hard, you never reach high speeds.
Old 02-10-2000, 11:25 PM
ChuckH

Default Although I agree that those may not be the tires that were on...

...the car, I don't think it is unlikely that a car can skid off the road without blowing them. If the road were wet or otherwise slippery, or if the skid on the pavement were not that far, then the tires could still be intact. What I find interesting is that it appears that all the wheels are the same. Also, as you can see, there is no way the car could roll anyway, even with good tires on it. The body is bent in such a way that the atleast one of the tires would be up off the ground.

Regardless, I still think it is much too early for anyone to be placing blame on any particular possibility. There are so many things that can cause an accident of this sort. I just found the tires to be of interest, being that snow tires would not have the same cornering or braking grip of a summer tire.
Old 02-11-2000, 03:11 AM
Franck Rouppert

Default Re: Comments about his tires....

I agree with you.
Pictures are not always reliable
Who knows whose car it is on that picture ?
Such a shock would have made more damages to the car
Old 02-11-2000, 11:15 AM
Jenner

Nice posts Chuck and franck!