TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Por Favor: Baby seat installation instructions from 2001 Coupe manual needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 06:46 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Por Favor: Baby seat installation instructions from 2001 Coupe manual needed

please. Photocopies in the mail or scanned and uploaded would be much appreciated. I am having the tethers installed next week (free retrofit) and my manual (MY 2001) doesn't cover installation with them.

Thank you very much! - Ivan
Old 08-27-2001, 07:00 AM

Default there actually aren't any--this is a per-seat thing

The 2001 manual I have covers safety requirements (kids under 7 in boosters unless they're too tall in the booster, in which case, booster in the front, airbag off)--that kinda stuff, but no instructions on specific seat installation.

My MY2001 coupe had tethers, but no ISOFIX (LATCH) fittings, for which there is supposedly a retrofit, but very few LATCH seats on the market over here, since my youngest is only 6 months away from a booster seat now (which doesn't apply to LATCH), I'm going to avoid buying yet another new seat, but I would definitely check it out if I were you--very easy to install the seat.

Here's the big thing--try before you buy! Most seats are reversable (except the infant seats that you can leave the base in the car and lift the carrier in and out), but it could be a nightmare getting a sleeping baby in and out without clonking their heads (maybe you could lift them in and out through the hatch?)

Not every car seat will work--I have no experience with the infant-carrier type in a TT, but given their depth, you may have to put it in the front, which wouldn't be so great unless it's a once-in-a-while thing (airbag off, of course).

Here's one to try out, the carrier type but without the base (you set it on the seat and fasten the seat belt across and through two slits)--that may be the best combination for the backseat.

Once you get to the 20 lb. milestone you've got the many options you've probably already seen there.

Email me if you want more info...

Good luck and welcome to the club of family TTers--I always get looks of envy from Dads as I unload my two kids from the TT at various family spots then watch them hustle everyone into the Grand Caravan...
Old 08-27-2001, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The tethers are not pre-installed on US-spec TTs?

My Canadian TT came with the tethers already attached to the backs of the rear seats.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:28 AM
Elder Member

Default That last line put a smile on my face. Thanks for the info. (lm)

My research indicates that Audi will not be putting the actual ISOFIX/LATCH system on the cars until mid year model year 2002, as the US Gov't doesn't require them until model year 2003.

Early LATCH fixing points will be canvas with a metal catch, later ones will be metal. Evidently you just click the bottom tether from the baby seat into the fixing point, do the two top tethers and BAM! a very secure seat.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:34 AM
Elder Member

They were not on 2000 model year US TT's, at least not early ones.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:41 AM
Elder Member

Default Oh yeah, and there is no LATCH retrofit yet. Only half (tethers)

I have been to the Audi parts system with my parts manager.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:40 AM

Default the bolts are in place in my car to hold the fittings, but the fittings aren't there

I spoke with AoA back in Oct/Nov (I posted it here, but I'm too lazy to look) and they said that in January there would be a kit. I asked them to call me, but they never did (what a surprise).

I just looked at the manual in my car, there are indeed a couple of pages showing a car seat in the car, but they are very generic, you want I should copy them?
Old 08-27-2001, 09:27 AM
Elder Member

You can tell I am sure if they would be useful. It's your call, I don't want to waste your time.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:23 AM

Default here's the only thing in there that you may not know about---

the convertible locking feature--

This is pretty standard in current cars, so you may already know about it, but my previous cars didn't have it:

To use the locking feature, pull the seat belt out as far as it will go, then kneel on the belt to keep it from going back in. route the belt through the guides in the seat and buckle it, then let the belt go in. IT SHOULD CLICK! This will lock the belt in place. Eventually, you will need to kneel down on the seat to push it into the cushion as far as possible (I put a towel down to protect the leather from sharp dents), then allow the belt to retract as much as possible. It will lock in place. When you take your weight off the seat, it should be completely rigid and not move at all.

In addition, here's some advice for the top tether (from a pal who's done it)

The top tether will route underneath the child seat and get attached to the seat back. Once the child seat or base is locked in place, you can pull it tight.

BTW, the AAA is probably the best resource for car seat info and help. You can bring your car there and they will work with you on installing it, free to members (at least here in SoCal it is).
Old 08-27-2001, 10:34 AM
Elder Member

Default I have a AAA membership so I'll definitely take advantage of that...

and I printed the post I am responding to so that I can try it.

We are buying the seat in the next few days. I already have it picked out, it's the Britax Roundabout.

Quick Reply: Por Favor: Baby seat installation instructions from 2001 Coupe manual needed