TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Possible Garrett Chip Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Garrett Chip Problem?

Hey TT guys had a question for you? I have done a few searches on the forums and have not seen a problem quite like this one. I have a 2001 TT Roadster 225HP Quattro 5sp with a Garrett Chip Forge DV and K&N panel filter and iridium plugs. The chip has been in the car since October 2003. Car has about 41k on it and I have put about 7k on it with the chip. Car has been running fantastic until about approx 2 weeks ago. Shortly after the car came back from it's 40k service at the dealer the check engine light came on and the car felt like it was back to the stock mode. The boost was just not coming on as quick and it just did not "surge" like it used to under hard acceleration. I took the car back to the dealer to have them take a look a the code. They informed me that report came back that "bank one was running to lean" and that it was probably the Mass Air Flow Sensor. The tech I deal with at the dealer is really great and knows of the car being chipped. (He also works on my 03 A45sp Quattro APR StageII+ and 88' Audi 90 Quattro) He did a full look over and found nothing else wrong. No leaks air or fluid. The MAF was replaced and the code was cleared. The car ran ok but it still did not seem to be back to its peppy self. I then took the car over to the tuning shop where the Garrett chip was installed. They drove the car and said it was fine and that they never heard of a Garrett chip failing. (I do not think that is true) They also said that it is possible that when the new MAF sensor was put in the Garrett chip went back to its orginal mode, and since it is an "adaptive" chip, I have to drive it fast for it to learn to boost more? I have heard of adaptive chips and have had Garrett chips in other Audi's, but the car just is not what it used to be. I want to have the car dyno'ed and then put in a new Garrett chip and re-dyno it. Any thoughts here, or am I the crazy one? Sorry for the long post and appreciate the input
Old 05-30-2004, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do an ECU re-set...>>

IE, Unplug the ECU or disconnect the battery for a few minutes. This will clear the adaptation maps and let you start again. Drive it like you stole it for awhile to train it well...:-)
Old 05-30-2004, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about this steve...

what if you did this with a stock set up??? would it still help performance?
Old 05-30-2004, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same, same...>

Yup...It'll clear the old adaptation maps. The adaptation stuff is in the ECU in an EPROM, not in the add on chips...
Old 05-30-2004, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sweet!!!

so if i do all of this, and then literally GUN IT for about 15 minutes, i will have 400HP at my pleasure? LOL

obviously i'm kidding, but i might as well try it...nothing to lose.

cheers!
e-so