TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Is it possible to get the Audi Nav System if it was not factory installed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to get the Audi Nav System if it was not factory installed?

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get the Audi Navigation system installed if you did not get it as a factory option? I am sure the answer is no, but thougth I would ask. I know that there are third party systems, such as the Magellan as used in Hertz vehicles.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2001, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I asked at the dealership - they said no ...

Does anyone else know of other OEM options?
Old 01-04-2001, 07:55 PM
Elder Member

Default Way too many parts would need to be changed and added . . .

A second cd changer, the NAV system itself, an entirely new instrument cluster, the control switches and wiring in the center console. The list is endless . . .
Old 01-04-2001, 07:57 PM
Elder Member

Default No other OEM options . . .

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, meaning Audi! You mean aftermarket NAV systems?

TONS are out there. You can get a simple hand held one like quite a few of us have like a Garmin GPS, or you can go all out and get a new radio with a built in NAV system from a company like Alpine. All it takes is money and an imagination!
Old 01-05-2001, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You have to be careful with certain systems. Larry you mentioned Garmin....

I've had a StreetPilot and EMap. I sold both of them on E-bay because in my opinion they are worthless.

They do not auto-route. For those that need futher explanation. Say your out somewhere and your lost. You input into your Garmin hendheld where you want to go, it will plot you a straightline course. Now if I were a bird that would be great, but it doesn't really help you in a car. There are complex ways to put turn by turn directions into a Garmin, but the bottom line is you need to already know the route. If you already new the route, why would you need a Nav system. It is also a pain in the a-- to put turn by turn directions into the Garmin.

If anyone has any questions about some of these systems, I've owned and used.

Garmin StreetPilot B/W
Garmin StreetPilot Color
Garmin E-map
Delorme StreetMap 5.0 - 8.0RWE
Delorme Solus Pro 1.0 - 2.0 for Palm

I'm kind of a gadget freak, so when I bought my TTR, the Nav system was an option I HAD to have.
Old 01-05-2001, 06:05 AM
Elder Member

Default You are right .. .that is the ONE thing I wish my III+ would do!

What GPS would you recommend that DOES Auto-Route? I want a hand-held and not one that needs to be hooked to a laptop. Unless you know of a software program that Garmin can import with a proper set of directions?

I want to plug in my route and then just drive.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2001, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with you on the software!

You would think the Garmin software would be much more powerful. It still sucks entering turn by turn directions via any of the Garmin softwares.

These are the only handheld or portable devices that I've heard about. I use the Neverlost system in Hertz rental cars at least twice a month. This is a portable version. I meet a local guy that had the Neverlost equivelant installed in his S4 here in Chicago. He said he had problems downtown with it around the tall buildings.???

<a href="http://www.gps4fun.com/mag_750M_main.html">http://www.gps4fun.com/mag_750M_main.html</a>
&amp;
<a href="http://www.gps4fun.com/visteon_pressrelease.html">http://www.gps4fun.com/visteon_pressrelease.html</a>
&nbsp;
Old 01-05-2001, 06:34 AM
Elder Member

Default I had the same problem losing the signal when I was in Manhattan recently . . .

I was curious if it would work, it didn't work very well. It is the same as losing the signal when in a forest.