TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Powerflex bushing people... need opinions and advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerflex bushing people... need opinions and advice...

Was wondering which ones everyone is getting?

-Audi TT/S3 Front MK2 Control Arm/ Wishbone Inner Bushes (Front)
-Audi TT/S3 Front Control Arm/ Wishbone Inner Bushes (Rear)
-Audi TT/S3 Front Anti Roll Bar Mountings 17mm

What does each of the pieces do to help suspension and handling?

Can these be installed by myself or do I need to drop it off at my mechanic to have it installed? Any tips, etc?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my experience so far

But first, Tom, YOU RULE!! : )
(just had to say that)

I did the front and rear bushings for the front control arms, and the dogbone mount.

Did the control arm bushings to help tighten up handling a little, and it did help, a little. Labor cost at the dealer, about $300. Excessive, maybe, but I don't have a performance shop option, and I know the install was a PITA.

Dogbone mount, cheap, subjectively works as advertised, again, I'm no expert but the difference is not night and day. Not much labor on this one, this one's pretty easy to get in there, per the tech and the Forge guys.

Cons: besides the cost, nothing really, some slightly increased vibrations felt through the steering wheel maybe.

All in all, worthwhile, if only because those who've replaced their bushings find the stockers have signs of wear (and they're softer to begin with). My feeling is that unless you have someone who can do it for you cheaply, or you're a modaholic, upgrade when your handling seems not as crisp as it used to be, and then you'll probably notice more of a difference. If you upgrade/replace the stocks before you really need to, you'll likely notice a handling performance gain, if only to justify the cost to yourself. The gain is there, just not one of the first mods I'd do unless my TT had more miles.

The front sway bar bushings would be nice to replace, but getting to that front sway is such a PITA and the labor cost for the others is already fairly $$, so I held the line there. I'd probably consider coordinating new front and rear swaybars of appropriate size if I was going to go through the trouble (and labor) of messing with the front sway bushings.

Rich
Old 08-03-2004, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have had just about the same exact experience as arTT

funny that very well put.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:23 AM

Default I did front the front sway.

20mm. I went with this size after calling Audi about OEM bushings. They told me since my car had the suspension recall done I had the larger sway bar up front. The 20mm fit just fine.

The stock bushings were like mush and squeaked like an old mattress in a cheap hotel. The new ones didn't until I washed the engine and rinsed away all the bushing grease. I re-lubed them and they quited back down.

I put in an Eibach Pro Kit at the same time as the bushings, so I can't comment on driving impressions.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 AM

Default The front bushing was cake

We had the car on a lift, unbolted the old bushings and they came right off. Replacing the bushings didn't require removal of the sway bar. Taking the sway bar off would have been a painful job, but the bushing was easy.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nick, you referring to the swaybar or control arm bushing?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had both bushings in the front control arms done.

My initial reaction was that of being underwhelmed. They have been in for a while and they have definately grown on me. The only difference The steering is more responsive. It is most noticable at low speeds. It is not light-years better but it is a worthwhile improvement.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:25 AM

Swaybar bushings.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yup, second that.