TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Pre-ESP stabilizer modification concerns; more

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-1999, 09:49 PM
Mindarella

Default Pre-ESP stabilizer modification concerns; more

I apologize for the length of this post, but I am very concerned about the modified stabilizers said to be going into production now (this week?), intended [paraphrasing several recent posts] to increase understeer, making the car a safer, more typical-of-Audi driving experience. I've had two Audis ('86 Coupe and '95 1/2 S6) and liked them, but this is definitely not what I was looking for in the TT. I care alot about safety, but I want an enthusiast's drive with this car! Further, it seems ironic to me that the only really negative review of the car I have ever read ( "Tiff", in Top Gear magazine several months ago) complained that it had far too much understeer, and though very safe was also boring because it was nearly impossible to break the tail loose, even on a dirt road! Now the word is that the car has quite the opposite tendency, and more understeer yet is coming.(?????).

It sounds to me like the TT really needs a rear spoiler, not more understeer, for those who intend to drive the car hard. The rest of us might be better off with some directed drivers' education pertinent to this car, the original stabilizer tuning, and no spoiler. ESP does sound OK to me, provided that it can be switched off for those not wanting its intrusion in a given driving situation, and provided that it is offered instead of more understeer rather than in addition to it. So will the modified stabilizers be continued after week 50, or just until ESP is in production?

Resale value is another real concern. I'm actually more worried about the in-between "fixed" cars than about those with the original set-up, but in any case it can't be good to have three different handling variants in the same year. My 180Q has been listed as "in production" for the last two weeks (I've never been told a VIN number, order number or actual build week number), and I don't honestly know whether to accept the car or not. If it got the new dial-in of additional understeer I think I will probably pass and await more information and driving reviews. If not, I think I'll take it and try to learn how to drive a bit differently. Does Audi still have a driving school? A friend of mine took his S4 (old type) to some kind of Audi-sponsered driving experience at a race track a few years ago and felt that he really learned alot about capabilities and limits.

Finally, so what about a spoiler? I appreciate the clean look of the TT as much as anyone, and admire Audi for trying to overcome the need for one by sculpting to speed the flow of air under the car, but maybe a good-looking enhancement is possible. I hated the MTM TT or whatever it was that was pictured here a while back, but the spoiler itself was kind of interesting. What does the Zender spoiler recently mentioned in posts look like?

What are the opinions and approaches of the major after-market Audi tuners to this alleged break-away tail? Surely a tuner like ABT, with its racing experience, would not produce a TT like the one shown at the IAA (with the S4 engine) without addressing handling characteristics, and I don't recall seeing a rear spoiler on that car. If anyone from ABT, TAP (Ivor?), or other tuning experts is reading I would sure appreciate your takes on these issues!
Old 10-11-1999, 04:38 AM
Andy W

Default Spoiler

After 2000 miles of driving me ACE TT 225Q, I think I'm getting used to the handling characteristics.

However, I must say that:

1. If you brake hard (and mean hard) say at 50mph in an average bend, you can feel the back end slide gently. I have increased the speed gradually and the effect increases also. After owning high performance rear and front wheel driven cars, I have not encountered this before. There again I have not owned a 4 wheel drive car either. The effect on damp roads in much higher.

2. When braking hard from high speed in a straight line, the car can fish tail slightly. I'm sure this is common to most sports cars, although I had not experienced it before.

As you have already pointed out with the addition of a spoiler, I have to agree that this must the be the quickest and easiest way to stop the tail fidgeting.

The best scenario would be for Audi to offer this instead of the proposed modifications to the chassis. After all we still want it to be a 'Sports Car'. This unless Audi know more and not letting on.

Does anyone have any pictures of aftermarket spoilers. I've seen the MTM one, and although it looks weird, in the absence of anything else I'd get one fitted at the first op.

A last thought, what are everyones thoughts on their tyres, as the ABS on my TT kicks in at the first opportunity with my Pirelli 6000's. This is making me think that they are too hard.

Andy.
Old 10-11-1999, 04:40 AM
Joe

Default Re: Pre-ESP stabilizer modification concerns; more

I am equally upset by this move from Audi, in part because it is such a shame that a car born under as pure a mission as a TT has to be diluted to meet the driving capabilities of the lowest common denominator. Not acceptable.

I also wonder if the tail-out "problem" (isn't it just "common" drop-throttle oversteer?) can be eased with a spoiler, or perhaps by making the rear brakes larger in proportion to the front.