TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Problem with windows dropping back down....anyone else with similar problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with windows dropping back down....anyone else with similar problem?

I purchased a 2002 TT coupe back in the middle of January, and it now has about 4,500 miles on it. I had a problem that started about 2 weeks after I bought the car. When I put the windows up, they'll go up, but then go back down either 2 inches, 6 inches, or all the way back down. The windows have also dropped down when the car is off, and the doors are closed. I've taken it to the dealer about 8 times already since February, and they have no idea how to fix it. They tried to tell me that it was dirt getting caught in the window tracks when I drive with the windows down, triggering the over-sensitive pinch protection feature. Their solution has been to lube the window tracks for less resistance on the windows. This has obviously not worked, and I'm tired of going back to the dealer every two-three weeks for this problem. The service manager claims he has seen about 15 people with the same problem, but the lube fixed it. The twist that makes it difficult to diagnose the problem, is that it's an intermittent problem, not able to be recreated by the service people (of course).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems, and what things (if any) were done to permanently fix them. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:37 PM

Default I had a strange prob. with my windows occasionaly but I always just reset (dealer trick )

Hold up for 2 sec. then down to bottom and hold for 2 sec. It usualy fixes it , or I do it over
Old 06-27-2002, 07:43 PM

Default My gremlins migrated from the left to the right window so it's now my passenger's problem.

It's been the only real bug and is kind of charming in a way...though if my windows went down after I shut the car off and closed the door after repeated dealer visits, they would be buying my car back.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:45 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Firstly, read your manual..there is a reset procedure that has worked for many

including myself. Secondly, ask the geniuses at your dealership to find Technical Bulletin C 64-02-01 dated April 3, 2002 entitled: "Power Windows, Reverse Direction During Closing or Automatic Lowering is Inoperative."
Old 06-27-2002, 07:46 PM
Elder Member

That trick is in your manual ;-)
Old 06-27-2002, 08:09 PM

Default Mine did the 2" drop (2nd time since purchase) last week and I did this <more>

Push button to lower window, keep holding button extra 10secs (or did I release it then hold 10secs), put window up, turn off ignition, open and shut door, verify window goes up.

I have no idea if this is the right way, but it's worked for me the 2 times the window has self-lowered.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Problem with windows dropping back down....anyone else with similar problem?

just got mine back from the dealer with the same problem. The service manager told me that the window has memory and needs to be reprogrammed. I have spoken to a few another person with the same issue. He has not been able to resolve the problem as of yet; however, hw told me that it doesnt happen often
Old 06-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Elder Member

Default See my post below, copy down the number of the new TSB and give it to your tech....I don't

think most of these guys read the TSBs that their dealerships receive.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:05 AM

Default I just brought my car in for the same problem >>

I thought they would just lube the track but the dealer wants to replace the entire window motor. They are convinced that the motor is defective. I will let you know if the problem is corrected once I have it replaced.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:43 AM

Default That 'reset' worked temporarily, now the auto UP, DOWN, is

gone..... along with the slight opening of the windows when you open the door. Drivers side only has failed.

Off to dealer next week!

Quick Reply: Problem with windows dropping back down....anyone else with similar problem?