TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Quattro TT and braking question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-1999, 01:20 PM
WillPick

Default Quattro TT and braking question

I'd really like to hear from folks with a quattro TT.....what happens if you brake hard doing 75 in a straight line? Is spinout really a problem?

I've been waiting since may for mine, but don't want a car that can't stop effectively, even it it is beautiful. Wouldn't Audi have noticed something unusual during testing?
Old 10-20-1999, 01:24 PM
AkRascal

What happens? You stop, of course. (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 01:28 PM
WillPick

Default Re: What happens? You stop, of course. (nt)

Did you read my question? I'm asking about spinout and stopping characteristics. See the other posts about the recall.
Old 10-20-1999, 01:41 PM
Gary C1

Default This is what happens and a few thoughts.. (long)

I have a 225Q (UK car) and my experience is that if you hit the brakes hard in a straight line at 90mph-ish (which I had to do due to some "white van man" (the people in UK will know what I mean !!)) the back gets very light and weaves around a bit - a bit disconcerting the first time it happens, but my feeling is that this could happen to some degree with any car under these circumstances.
I found very quickly that if you know this will happen, you are ready for it.
I previously had a Mercedes E Class, which felt better at braking under these circumstances, but because of all the electronic trickery it employed, you would have difficulty trying to control it yourself if it went pear-shaped (if that makes sense ?). With the TT, it is controllable. It's like any car - find the limits then stay within them.
I was, I must admit, very scathing about the handling the first time I had a bit of a "wiggle" in the car, but now that I know what it can / cant do, I'm perfectly happy.
Go ahead - buy the Quattro - have some fun but be sensible
Old 10-20-1999, 01:57 PM
Andy W

Default Braking..

I wouldn't worry about braking in a straight line, it's just that us Brits drive on ****ty roads and this can make the TT entertaining when braking hard. The real issue, is braking hard in fast sweeping bends, the back end can drift, sometimes quite quickly. This is being addressed by Audi, and I'd expect any new TT you would by would have at least the proposed suspension changes.

To put it into perspective, it would appear that this forum is split 50/50 in relation to getting the mods done. So I guess the question you need to ask yourself if, Am I confident enough, if you are go out and get one now, else wait for the ESP version, which will be I guess a little bitter tamer.

Either way I'd do it, it's not every day you get a chance to buy a piece of automotive history.

Andy
Old 10-20-1999, 02:07 PM
WillPick

Default Thanks guys, first real feedback I've seen on this!

Now the question in my mind is whether the suspension mods are enough to make a real difference, and if ESP really is worthwhile in the long run. Anyone know exactly what ESP does? Let off pressure on the front brakes? (hah!) Sounds pretty fancy if it needs sensors in the body. I would have to postpone yet another few months to get ESP.

My current position is that the car is still great, but I'm unsure over the real effect of the mods.
Old 10-20-1999, 02:08 PM
Scott

From 60MPH on a newly paved road it tracked perfectly straight. and stopped damn quickly (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 02:21 PM
mne

Now Will... you're on the same page all of us are. Get the car and wonder along with us... (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 02:39 PM
John TT

Default He didn't say which direction you'd be facing!

Its a shame how good sarcasm can often go unappreciated!
Old 10-20-1999, 02:42 PM
John TT

Default See the Nov Car & Driver article on "active handling systems"

Nobody has argued that ESP won't be like this

Quick Reply: Quattro TT and braking question